Score: Emerson 3, Eastern Nazarene 0
Records: Emerson Lions (3-6, 1-2 NEWMAC) ; Eastern Nazarene Lions (2-7-1, 1-0-1 NECC)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Rotch Field)
Date: Monday, October 1, 2018
The Lead: Senior Paul Bou Aziz (Nice, France) tallied two goals and freshman Avery Niles (Denver, Col.) netted his first collegiate goal for the Emerson men's soccer team as the Lions propelled past Eastern Nazarene, 3-0, in non conference play on a rainy Monday night.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Bou Aziz tallied two goals followed by Niles, who netted his first career goal in a Lions uniform with the assists being credited to freshmen Chris Williams (Albrightsville, Penn.), Ryan Anderson (San Leandro, Calif.) and Arturo Ruiz (Morristown, N.J.).
- Sophomore keeper David Kemp (London, England) had a quiet night in the win with three saves through 90 minutes.
- Eastern Nazarene tallied shots from Edmilson Centeio, Jose Ruiz and Sebastian Arboleda.
- Victor Mendoza was tagged with the loss and played 75 minutes in net for the visiting Lions with four saves on six shots and Tyler Ferreira allowed one goal in the last 15 minutes of regulation.
- Emerson outshot Eastern Nazarene, 16-9, and also held the advantage in corner kicks at 8-1.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson was able to keep the ball on their end of the field for much of the opening frame and gained several scoring opportunity during that span.
- The first came on a free kick by Ruiz in the 23rd minute that was blocked by Mendoza.
- The host Lions next scoring chance also came on a free kick by junior Creighton Dorfman (Northbridge, Mass.) that was passed up to junior Gavin Faucette (Oakland, Calif.) only to have the ball ding the post and into Mendoza's hands.
- Within the first half, Emerson heavily outshot Eastern Nazarene at 9-1 that included three shots on goal.
- It was in the 62nd minute that the hosts were able to break a scoreless tie off another free kick near the far sideline that was whipped in by Ruiz as Niles found himself open on the six yard line in the box and booted the ball in on an open left side.
- Emerson capitalized on free kicks all night and used another one in the 70th minute when Bou Aziz flicked the ball in past the reach of Mendoza.
- Bou Aziz collected his second goal of the game off a corner kick by Williams that he right footed from six yards out within the box to seal the hosts 3-0 win.
- Emerson jumps back into NEWMAC play on Saturday, October 6 over at Babson at 1:00 p.m.
- Eastern Nazarene also return to conference play on Friday, October 5 when they host Becker at 7:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS