Score: Emerson 2, Pine Manor 2 (2OT)
Records: Emerson Lions (0-0-1); Pine Manor Gators (0-0-1)
Location: Salem, Mass. (Alumni Field)
Date: August 30, 2019
The Lead: Two second half goals by senior Gavin Faucette (Oakland, Calif.) and freshman Shane Biathrow helped erase a two-goal deficit and led to an eventual 2-2 double overtime tie against Pine Manor in the Emerson men's soccer team's 2019 season opener.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Faucette - 1 goal
Biathrow - 1 goal
Goalie: David Kemp - 2 goals allowed, 3 saves through 110 minutes
Oscar Uriel Roque + Felipe Flores - 1 goal
Elmer Pineda + Raduel Gomez - 1 assist
Goalie: Angel Pena - 2 goals allowed, 6 saves through 110 minutes
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Just a little over the halfway mark of the first half, Pine Manor knocked in two goals to give the Gators an early 2-0 lead over Emerson.
- Roque got the Gators scoring started at the 20:07 mark when he headed a pass from Pineda into the back of the net.
- 11 minutes later, Flores put Emerson in a two-goal deficit with the help of Gomez.
- All the second half scoring belonged to Emerson as the Lions chiseled away at Pine Manor's two-goal lead and leveled the score at 2-2.
- Faucette fired in the first Emerson goal on an unassisted possession (58:21) and cut the lead down to one.
- With 10 seconds remaining in regulation, Biathrow sent in a last second shot that made its way past Pena as the Lions stayed alive and moved the game into overtime.
- One shot was registered by Pine Manor through the first overtime period and sent the game into another 10 minutes of play.
- The Lions did not send up a shot through the final overtime period as the game ended in a 2-2 tie.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS