Score: Emerson 3, Dean 0 (25-10, 27-25, 25-22)
Records: Emerson Lions (1-0) ; Dean College Bulldogs (1-1)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
Date: Thursday, February 1, 2018
The Lead: The Emerson College Men's Volleyball team started their season on Thursday night after a postponement of their first scheduled game last week. The team went on to win their first match against Dean 3-0 (25-10, 27-25, 25-22).
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Mark Piorkowski(Montclair, New Jersey) led the lions with 9 kills and 17 total points. He had five digs, five service aces, and three blocked shots to go along with his kills.
- Win Kittivatcharapong(Bangkok, Thailand) had eight kills nad 10.5 total points with two service aces.
- Co-Captain Nick Rusk(Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) was the leading passed with 19 assists for the Lions followed by Marcus Cepeda who had 16.
- The Bulldogs were led by Diondre Charros, who had 13 kills, 12 digs, and 14 total points for the visitors.
- Bulldogs' Captain Bobby Tetreault assisted on 17 kills.
HOW IT HAPPENED
SET ONE (Emerson 25, Dean 10)
- Backed by a trio of kills from both Rusk and Kittivatcharapong, Emerson gained the first set win at
- The Lions gained early ground over the Bulldogs thanks to a quick 9-1 spurt to start off the opening
set and ventured into a double figure lead at 13-2 after a 12-2 spurt.
- Emerson kept Dean at bay through the remainder of the frame and cruised to the 25-10 win.
SET TWO (Emerson 27, Dean 25)
- With the score differential staying within one to start off the second, Emerson was able to stretch its
lead up to four at 10-6
- Emerson maintained a lead of at least four until Dean squared the score at 16-all and took its first
lead at 18-16.
SET THREE (Emerson 25, Dean 22)
- After Dean gained a 3-0 lead over Emerson, a kill from Garcia and two Bulldogs errors allowed the
Lions to take the 6-3 lead.
- Neither Emerson or Dean gained a comfortable lead over one another with the score differential
never exceeding one and continued to go back and forth through the midst of the third frame.
- Emerson began to break away and gained the three point lead on several occasions, once at 14-11
and again at 16-13.
- Dean erased the three-point deficit at 17-14 and regained the 18-17 lead on a Lions attack error.
After the Bulldogs had gained a late 22-20 lead, a kill from Mark Piorkowski saw the Lions start roaring back.
- The Lions scored the last five points, with the exclamation point on an ace by Co-Captain Nick Rusk to make the score 24-22.
- Emerson continues its three game home stand on Saturday, February 3 and play host to No. 15 MIT and
Southern Vt. in a tri-match starting at 11:00 a.m.
- Dean will be back on the court on Sunday, February 4 hosting its first tri-match against Mount Ida and
Pratt starting at 11:00 a.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS
Stay updated on all things Emerson men's volleyball and follow the Lions on Twitter, Facebook at
Emerson College Men's Volleyball, as well as on Instagram. Also be sure to tune into Emerson Channel
Sports to catch the Lions in action and follow Emerson Athletics on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.