Score: Endicott 3, Emerson 0
Records: Emerson Lions (4-2) ; Endicott Gulls (9-1)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
Date: Tuesday, February 13, 2018
The Lead: The Emerson men's volleyball team saw its three game winning streak come to a halt at the hands of the Endicott Gulls as the Lions were downed in straight sets in non-conference action on Tuesday night.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Junior Mark Piorkowski (Montclair, N.J.) anchored Emerson with seven kills and three aces, while freshman Marcus Cepeda (Sacramento, Calif.) registered a game-best 19 assists.
- Sophomore Carl D'Aguiar (Tujunga, Calif.) scooped up a match high 12 digs and senior Stig Regan (Kailua, Hi.) paced the defense with two block assists.
- Bryn Lipton paced Endicott with nine kills while he and Devin Racey each scooped up six digs.
- Adam Dake picked up 16 helpers with Racey followed with 13, Gabe Felicetti served a pair of aces and Seth Braquet led the Gulls defense with four blocks.
HOW IT HAPPENED
SET ONE (Endicott 25, Emerson 15)
- Endicott jumped out to a 5-0 lead after an ace from Dake and was able to extend its advantage over Emerson up 10-2 on a pair of swings from Jacob Newman and Donovan Dey.
- Emerson began to claw its way back capitalizing on a trio of Endicott errors to close within six (14-8).
- A kill from Piorkowski and attack error committed by the Gulls kept the Lions in striking distance at six (16-10) before the visitors began to extend its lead once again and did not allow Emerson any close than nine.
SET TWO (Endicott 25, Emerson 21)
- To begin the second frame, the score differential remained within no more than a pair of scores as Endicott grabbed the 8-6 lead on Riorden's swing.
- Emerson answered with a 3-0 spurt to grab its first lead of the set at 9-8 after junior Win Kittivatcharapong (Bangkok, Thailand) tallied the go ahead point on a kill.
- The visitors followed up with the next pair of points to reclaim the 10-9 lead before the Lions squared the score at 10-all on a service error, but Endicott pieced together a 5-0 streak to gain their biggest cushion of five at 15-10.
- Rusk stepped to the line and served up a pair of aces in part of a 4-0 Emerson run the put the Gulls' lead back at one (15-14) before squaring the score again (16-16) on Dey's attack error.
- Emerson saw themselves in a four point hole at 20-16 after Endicott's 4-0 run and put two point back on the board with the next three of five (22-19).
- The Lions were able to notch two more points through the rest of the set, but it was the Gulls who sealed the 25-21 win on a kill by Dey.
SET THREE (Endicott 25, Emerson 15)
- Emerson remained within one of Endicott to open the third frame before the Gulls set out on a 4-0 streak to push the visitors ahead by five (8-3) after Gabe Felicetti's pair of aces.
- The closest the Lions inched to the Gulls in the middle portion of the frame was three at 12-9 as the visitors started to pull away and upped its lead to six at 15-9 on a trio of kills.
- Endicott claimed its biggest lead of nine at 20-12 as Emerson was only able to close within seven at 22-15 with the Gulls tallying the final three points of the set to take the sweep.
- Emerson will host its second tri-match of 2018 on Saturday, February 17 and will face John Jay & Newbury in matches starting at 11:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m.
- Endicott opens conference play tomorrow night, Wednesday, February 14 at home and will face Southern Vt. at 7:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS