Overall Record: 9-3 (2-1 GNAC)
Scoreboard: Emerson 3, Mount Ida 0 | February 27, 2018 | Newton, Mass.
Emerson 3, Regis (Mass.) 0 | March 1, 2018 | Boston, Mass.
BOSTON - After a week off from the court, the Emerson men's volleyball team will head across town to Emmanuel (Mass.) for a Saturday afternoon GNAC tri-match against the Saints and Wentworth Leopards. Emerson will begin the day with a match at 12:00 p.m. against the Saints and wrap the tri-match with its second meeting of 2018 with the Leopards at 2:00 p.m.
A LOOK BACK BEFORE THE BREAK
- As of today, Emerson has not lost in nine straight sets and enter Saturday's tri-match with an overall record of 9-3 and 2-1 GNAC record.
- The Lions closed February out with a 3-0 straight sweep road win over Mount Ida back on February 27th before entering March with another sweep, this time at home on March 1 over Regis (Mass.).
ON THE NATIONAL CIRCUIT
- For the first time this season, Emerson currently has a pair of players on its roster representing the Lions within the national circuit, including sophomore Carl D'Aguiar (Tujunga, Calif.) and junior Mark Piorkowski (Montclair, N.J.).
- D'Aguiar, who also ranks first in the GNAC with 3.64 digs per set, has taken the second spot with Division 3 men's volleyball in the same category.
- Piorkowski sits within the top-50 in the 49th spot in attacks per set with 7.59 a frame.
REPRESENTING IN THE GNAC
- Along with D'Aguiar and Piorkowski, the Lions also have five more players on its roster who rank within their respective categories in the GNAC after 12 matches.
- Senior Nick Rusk (Fort Lauderdale, Fl.) anchors Emerson with a place in three GNAC categories, including kills per set (9th - 2.49), hit percentage (10th - .253) and service aces per set (2nd - .65).
- Piorkowski sits in third in both kills per set (2.92) and service aces per set (.58) with D'Aguiar coming in first in digs per set and seventh with 131 total digs.
- Junior Win Kittivatcharapong (Bangkok, Thailand) nabs the eighth spot with a .270 hit percentage and 10th in kills per set at 2.45.
- Senior Stig Regan (Kailua, Hi.) ranks sixth in blocks per set (.81), freshman Marcus Cepeda (Sacramento, Calif.) takes fifth with 6.81 assists while sophomore Lucas Raagas (Cambridge, Mass.) grabs the ninth spot with 5.18 assists.
RACKING UP PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
- The GNAC recognized both Rusk and D'Aguiar for play concluding on March 5, marking the sixth time the conference has named a Lion as a defensive/offensive player of the week.
- Rusk was tabbed as the Offensive Player of the Week after he packed the stat sheet with 4.17 kills per set on a .258 hit percentage to go with 2.67 digs.
- D'Aguiar grabbed the Defensive Player of the Week accolade for the second time this season and averaged 4.50 digs a set on a 2-0 week for the Lions that included a season-high 19 digs against Regis (Mass.).
- Cepeda added to Emerson's accolade list and also earned a spot on the GNAC's Weekly Honor roll list.
SCOUTING THE SAINTS
- Emmanuel (Mass.) posts an overall record of 6-9 to go along with an even 1-1 record in GNAC play with its most recent wins coming in a tri-match sweep over Southern Vermont and Pine Manor back on March 10.
- The Saints average 9.58 kills per set on a .167 hit percentage along with 8.89 assists, 1.23 blocks, 1.75 service aces and 11.83 digs.
- Pacing Emmanuel (Mass.) is Erik English, who has racked up 3.30 kills with a total of 175 kills to match a hit percentage of .183% and .42 aces per set.
- Following English is Max Gottuso, who has registered 2.94 digs a set and 153 total digs, Alex Silva with .67 blocks and Seamus McDonald with 7.87 assists.
- In the 2017 series with the Saints, the Lions came out with the season sweep in a 3-0 win on February 25. 2017 and 3-1 on April 1, 2017.
SCOUTING THE LEOPARDS
- The Leopards of Wentworth hold an overall record of 16-7 through 23 matches as well as a dominant 6-1 GNAC record.
- Wentworth came out of tri-match play on March 10 with a split and took a 3-0 loss vs. Lancaster Bible before picking up a 3-0 win over Wells at the Alvernia Invitational.
- On a .268 team hit percentage, Wentworth averages 11.64 kills per set to go along with 11.50 assists, 2.59 blocks, 1.49 aces and 10.26 digs.
- Collin Ritter paces the Leopards on both the offensive and defensive attack with 2.59 kills (192 total kills), .34 aces and 5.38 assists., while Peter Klembcyzk also leads the defensive front with 2.34 digs and 166 total digs.
- Rounding out the Wentworth stat leaders is Ollie Oshman, who has powered out a GNAC leading
- .492 hit percentage with 1.30 blocks.
- Wentworth topped Emerson back in its first meeting of 2018 back on February 22 with a 3-0 sweep at Brown & Plofker.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS