Score: Lasell 3, Emerson 2 (24-26, 25-22, 25-19, 8-15)
Records: Emerson Lions (10-7, 3-7 GNAC) ; Lasell Lasers (7-17, 4-7 GNAC)
Location: Newton, Mass. (Athletic Center)
Date: Thursday, March 29, 2018
The Lead: Three members of the Emerson men's volleyball team racked up double figures in kills, including senior Nick Rusk (Fort Lauderdale, Fl.) leading the way with a season and career high 26 in the Lions' five-set 3-2 setback to the Lasell Lasers in a GNAC road slate on Thursday night.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Along with his 26 kills, Rusk completed a double double night with 16 kills and filled the rest of his stat line with two aces and a season high five blocks.
- Junior Mark Piorkowski (Montclair, N.J.) matched his season high of 16 kills with three aces, while junior Win Kittivatcharapong (Bangkok, Thailand) added 10 kills.
- On the defensive end, sophomore Carl D'Aguiar (Tujunga, Calif.) picked up a season-best 24 digs and freshman Marcus Cepeda (Sacramento, Calif.) dished out a season high 56 assists.
- Jordan Aprea paced Lasell and registered a .417 hit percentage on 11 kills and 20 digs, while Andy Henriquez had 43 helpers and one ace and Aaron Waitekus recorded a match high six blocks.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The opening frame saw Emerson and Lasell exchange the lead with numerous ties and lead changes between the two of them.
- Swings from Piorkowski and Rusk helped the Lions fend off two set-points, yet a pair of errors committed by the Lions allowed the Lasers to pull away with the 26-24 set win.
- Lasell posted a small lead in the second set until Emerson embarked on a 7-1 spurt late into the frame to pull ahead, 23-20.
- Despite Lasell fighting off one set point, Emerson notched the 25-19 set win on a service error by the Lasers to even the match at 1-1.
- Emerson created distance between them and Lasell to begin the third set with an 11-4 lead before the hosts inched within a trio at 16-13 and again at 20-17 as the Lions held on for the 25-19 win to go up 2-1.
- The hosts held onto the lead for a majority of the fourth set and saw its lead be diminished as the Lions fought and rattled off five consecutive points to knot the score, 22-all.
- After the teams traded off points, the Lions committed a costly error followed by a kill from Aprea that allowed the hosts to snag the 25-23 win to force a fifth set.
- The fifth and final frame saw a tight score in the beginning portion with Lasell holding an 8-6 lead over Emerson, but it was the Lasers who posted a 6-0 spurt to push them ahead 14-6.
- Emerson was able to record two more points, but a kill from Aprea handed the hosts the match.
- Emerson wraps the week on Saturday, March 31 with a GNAC tilt against Rivier at 12:00 p.m.
- Lasell will play in a GNAC tri-match come Saturday, March 31 at Emmanuel (Mass.) starting at 12:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS