Score: Emerson 3, Newbury 0
Records: Emerson Lions (3-1) ; Newbury Nighthawks (0-6)
Location: Hellenic College (Pappas Gymnasium)
Date: Tuesday, February 5, 2019
The Lead: Senior Mark Piorkowski (Montclair, N.J.) paced all players with aThe 15 kill effort, leading the Lions to a sweep of the Nighthawks.
BY THE NUMBERS
- To go along with his 15 kills, Piorkowski had 8 digs, four service aces, and one block.
- Sam Willinger totaled 10 kills on just 18 attacks, good for a .444 hitting percentage.
- Lucas Raagas (Cambridge, Mass.) was a strong passer for Emerson, assisting on 23 of the Lions 45 kills.
- Jacob DiTore led all Lions with 14 digs on the defensive side of the net.
- Rory Dobbins was the high scorer for the Nighthawks with 13 kills. Jeremias Soto matched Dobbins' 13 kills with 13 assists.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first set saw both teams go on unanswered runs to grab the lead.
- After being knotted at 12, Emerson went on a 4-0 run to lead 16-12 before Newbury rattled off their own 6-0 to take the lead back at 21-19.
- Emerson came right back, scoring the next four and eventually taking the set 25-23 on a Win Kittivatcharapong (Bangkok, Thailand) kill.
- Emerson jumped out to an early lead in the second set behind freshman Jonah Haigaonna (Okinawa, Japan), who recorded three aces in an 8-0 run.
- Newbury cut the lead to two, scoring nine of 12 points to bring the score to 11-9, but Emerson closed out the set comfortably at 25-20, taking a 2-0 lead.
- Emerson's strong attacked helped them win the third set and ultimately the match, jumping out to an early 3-0 lead.
- Both teams were locked in a tight set before Emerson scored 4-5 to take a 25-19 victory, finishing the match at 3-0.
- The Lions take on their namesake in Eastern Nazarene on Thursday when they welcome them to the BRown & Plofker Gym starting at 7:00pm.
- Newbury takes on Northern Vermont and Johnson State in a Tri-Trig-Match on Saturday.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS