Records: Emerson College (10-14, 3-9 GNAC); Johnson & Wales Wildcats (21-10, 9-5 GNAC)
Score: Johnson & Wales 3, Emerson 0
Location: Providence, R.I.
Date: Tuesday, April 9, 2019
The Lead: BOSTON - The Emerson Men's Volleyball team fell to the Johnson & Wales Wildcats in the first round of the GNAC playoffs for the second straight year on Tuesday.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Mark Piorkowski (Montclair, N.J.) paced the Lions with 10 kills, while Samuel WIllinger (Golden Beach, Fla.) added five and Win Kittivatcharapong ( added four.
- Lucas Raagas (Cambridge, Mass.) had 16 assists in the loss.
- Sanjae Holloway and Jack Pincince had 11 kills for the Wildcats while Ben Sandt added 10.
- Cameron Ponce assisted on 37 of the 43 Wildcat kills.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Lions kept the first set close to open up, with a Piorkowski kill keeping the Wildcat lead to one at 10-9.
- Johnson and Wales broke off a 7-3 to take a 17-12 lead in the first set. Emerson traded points with the WIldcats, bringing the score to 20-15. Johnson & Wales closed out the set on a 5-1 run, winning it 25-16.
- In the second set, Emerson jumped out to an early lead, taking six of the first seven points from the WIldcats. The Lions built their lead to six on an attack error by Johnson & Wales at 10-4.
- The Wildcats came back, eventually cutting the Lions lead to two at 13-11. Emerson scored the next three points, bringing their lead back to five at 16-11.
- Johnson and Wales went on a 7-2 run to knot the game at 18 before closing out the set on another 7-2 run, taking it 25-20.
- In the third set, both teams traded points with the two teams staying within three points for the majority of the set.
- With the score at 17-15 with Johnson & Wales leading, they went on an 8-4 run, taking the set at 25-19 and the match 3-0.
- The Lions fall in the first round of the playoffs to the Johnson & Wales Wildcats for the second year in a row.