Score: Emerson 11, St. Joseph's 0
Records: Emerson Lions (1-0) ; St. Joseph's (2-0)
Game 1 Pitching Decision: WP: Neely Eddleston (1-0) l LP: Caitlyn King (0-2)
Location: Kissimmee, Fla.
Date: Monday, March 4th, 2019
The Lead: The Emerson Softball team started off their season with a victory over St. Joseph's (Me.) shutting out the Monks 11-0 in five innings.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Kallista Leondardos (El Granada, Calif.) launched her first home run of the season in the third inning, notching two RBIs.
- Freshman Lexi Semanchik (Flemington, N.J.) drove in four runs in her collegiate debut, notching two hits.
- Neely Eddleston pitched four innings of shut out ball in her first start of the season, striking out three batters and only giving up two hits.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson opened up the scoring in the top of the first inning, scoring four runs, headlined by an Alena Jones (Woodinville, Wash.) two run single to drive in Lindsey Lowe (Porter Ranch, Calif.) and Semanchik.
- The Lions added one run in both the second and third adding, before adding two in the fourth inning to open up an eight run lead.
- Behind their strong pitching, Emerson added three more runs in the top of the fifth inning to open up an 11 run lead. Marisa DeFranco (Falls Church, Va.) got her first hit of the season, driving in Maddie Tomich (Lithia, Fla.).
- Semanchik followed DeFranco with a ground out to drive in Mary Kuczkowski (Litchfield, N.H.), and Leonardo drove in Morgan Mitchell (Riverton, Utah.) on an infield single.
- The Lions closed out the game of the bottom of the inning, winning 11-0.
- The Lions are back in action on Tuesday, taking on St. John's Fisher and Hood in a double header starting at 1:15.