Game One Score: Emerson 1, Wheaton 0
Game Two Score: Emerson 5, Wheaton 3
Game One Pitching Decision: WP: Neely Eddleston (12-7) | LP: Shelbi Wilson (10-11)
Game Two Pitching Decision: WP: Karagan Knowles (6-5) | LP: Sarah Pritchard (10-2)
Records: Emerson Lions (19-16, 9-9 NEWMAC) ; Wheaton Lyons (21-14, 7-11 NEWMAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Rotch Field)
Date: Tuesday, April 23, 2019
The Lead: Sophomore Lindsey Lowe (Porter Ranch, Calif.) cranked a double in game one that drove in the one and only run the Emerson softball team would need to take a 1-0 win over Wheaton. In game two, senior Kallista Leonardos (El Granada, Calif.) cranked a three-run homer and saw freshman Karagan Knowles (Tuscon, Ariz.) pitch three lights out innings of relief to help lift the Lions to a 5-3 comeback win to snag the sweep over the Lyons in NEWMAC play on Tuesday night.
GAME ONE: Emerson 1, Wheaton (Mass.) 0
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Lowe: 2-for-2, double, stolen base, one RBI
Alena Jones: 1-for-3, one run scored
Pitching: Eddleston - 7.0 innings, four hits, zero runs, four strikeouts
Hannah Arkin: 2-for-2, double
Katelyn Barton: 1-for-3
Emily Schlapak: 1-for-3, double
Pitching: Wilson - 6.0 innings, six hits, one run, one walk, seven strikeouts
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Schlapak doubled to start off the second frame and later moved up to third on a grounder to second, but Eddleston fanned both Julia McLintock and Tristan Keller to keep Wheaton off the board.
- Emerson used its half of the second to jump in front, 1-0, when Lowe blooped a two bagger in between the left fielder and third baseman to bring Jones in all the way from first.
- With a runner on first and two outs, Barton sent Wheaton's potential game tying single into center that ensued with Riley Benedetto being tagged out at the plate to hold the score 1-0 in the top of the fifth.
- Eddleston held Wheaton to one base runner within the final two frames and retired the Lyons in order for a 1-2-3 seventh as the home Lions snagged the tight 1-0 game one win.
GAME TWO: Emerson 5, Wheaton 3
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Marisa DeFranco: 2-for-4, one run scored
Lexi Semanchik: 2-for-4, one run scored
Leonardos: 1-for-3, one run scored, home run, three RBIs
Lowe: 2-for-3, double, stolen base, RBI
Jones: 1-for-2, one run scored, double
Morgan Mitchell: 1-for-3
Pitching: Eddleston - 4. 0 innings, six hits, two runs, two walks, two strikeouts
Knowles - 3.0 innings, zero runs, zero walks, six strikeouts
Pritchard: 2-for-3, one RBI
Barton: 1-for-4, one RBI
Schlapak: 1-for-2, RBI
Jessica Nardozza: 1-for-3
Pitching: Pritchard - 4.0 innings, nine hits, five runs, one walk, two strikeouts
Wilson - 2.0 innings, one walk
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Wheaton tagged Eddleston with one run in the top half of the first when Schlapak smacked a single up the middle that drove in Arkin, giving the Lyons an early 1-0 lead.
- It was in the home half of the third where Emerson tacked three runs on the board to push them to a 3-1 advantage.
- DeFranco and Semanchik batted back to back singles to set up Leonardos, who with one swing of the bat took Pritchard yard with a three-run bomb over the left field fence.
- Wheaton got a run back in the top of the fourth behind Pritchard's RBI single into center and were looking for more when Pritchard advanced to third on Nardozza's single, but Eddleston retired Benedetto on strikes for the final out with the score at 3-2.
- Barton singled up the middle to drive in Arkin in the top half of the fifth to even the score at 3-3, which led to Knowles coming in for relief and retired the side on a grounder and two strikeouts to keep the score even.
- After a leadoff double from Jones, Lowe followed with a double of her own to bring in the go-ahead fourth run and crossed one more when Lowe plated on a wild pitch as Emerson jumped back in front, 5-3, in the bottom of the fifth.
- Knowles shut down the Wheaton bats in her three innings of relief and rolled through the final two frames striking out four more to ice Emerson's 5-3 comeback win.
- Emerson travels to Plymouth State for its final doubleheader of 2019 on Wednesday, April 24 with a 3:00 p.m. first pitch.
- Wheaton will also be on the road tomorrow over at Tufts for a non conference slate at 3:30 p.m. & 5:30 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS