Score: Emerson 75, Wheaton (Mass.) 50
Records: Emerson Lions (11-13, 8-7 NEWMAC) ; Wheaton (Mass.) Lyons (7-17, 2-11 NEWMAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
Date: Wednesday, February 14, 2018
The Lead: Senior Maya Savino (Killingworth, Conn.) powered out a team-high 15 points line with three more Lions registering double-figures as the Emerson women's basketball team locked up a 75-50 NEWMAC triumph over the visiting Wheaton (Mass.) Lyons on Wednesday night.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Savino registered all 15 of her points beyond the arc and finished 5-for-7 on the perimeter with an additional five assists and four steals.
- Three more Lions put up double figures including junior Charlie Boyle (Scotts Valley, Calif.) with 13 and saw 11 points from both freshman Sam Boyle (Scotts Valley, Calif.) and junior Natalie Busch (Weybridge, England).
- C. Boyle powered the Lions defense with five blocks, while S. Boyle was a rebound shy of a double-double at nine.
- Leading the way for Wheaton (Mass.) was Chelsea Rairdon, who canned 11 points off the bench.
- Maria Matrango grabbed a team high six rebounds, while Emily Cuthbertson was credited with three assists and both Ruthie Zientek and Oppie Morris each had three steals.
- Emerson shot 54.4% from the field (31-57) with a three-point percentage of 41.7% (10-24) and converted 37.5% of its shots on the free throw line (3-8).
- Wheaton (Mass.) finished the night shooting 26.5% (18-68) from the floor and 18.2% on the perimeter (4-22) and were 76.9% from the charity stripe.
- The Lions topped the Lyons on the boards (43-36), assists (22-11) and within the paint (24-20).
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first quarter saw six leads changes as Emerson shot 50% from the field that included 40% on the perimeter to take the 17-11 over Wheaton (Mass.).
- Emerson jumped to an early 4-0 lead after Savino connected for a three at 8:02, which was the Lions biggest lead as the score flip flopped through the middle portion of the frame.
- Wheaton (Mass.) held its last lead at 2:24 (11-10) after Rebecca Oliveri's pair of shots at the charity line with a jumper from sophomore Kate Foultz (Thousand Oaks, Calif.) at 2:10 kickstarted a 6-0 spurt to push the Lions ahead by six (17-11).
- Coming off a 6-0 run to wrap the first quarter, the Lions used the first three minutes of the second to stretch its advantage into double figures at 11 (24-13) after Savino canned another long range bucket at 6:44.
- The Lions continued to stretch its lead up to 19 with 2:42 remaining in the second on a trey from sophomore Quinn Madden (Mokena, Ill.) as the visitors put up the next seven of nine with the Lions holding the 41-27 lead at the half.
- Emerson used its dominance from deep within the third stanza, shooting 28.6% from beyond the arc, to outscore Wheaton (Mass.) 13-11 and enter the final frame with a 54-38 cushion.
- A bucket from Cuthbertson brought the Lyons within 15 (57-42) at the 7:34 mark and was the closest came within the Lions.
- The Lions propelled the score margin into the 20s at 5:09 (62-42) and would continue to command on both ends with a jumper from sophomore Leenca Kardacz (Harleysville, Penn.) sealing the 75-48 triumph.
- Emerson concludes the 2018 regular season on Saturday, February 17 at WPI with a 2:00 p.m. tip-off.
- Wheaton (Mass.) returns home on Saturday to close out their 2018 campaign in a 1:00 p.m conference contest against Springfield.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS