Score: Emerson 71, Gordon 42
Records: Emerson Lions (1-0) ; Gordon Fighting Scots (0-1)
Date: Thursday, November 8, 2018
Location: Wenham, Mass. (Bennett Center)
The Lead: The Emerson women's basketball team put on a show in its opening night as four double figure efforts from seniors Natalie Busch (Weybridge, England) and Charlie Boyle (Scotts Valley, Calif.), junior Natalie Clydesdale (Pittsburgh, Penn.) and sophomore Ashley Toner (Barnegat, N.J.) powered the Lions to a 71-42 victory over Gordon on Thursday night.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Busch paced Emerson in the scoring column with 15 points along with four steals followed 14 from Boyle and 13 from both Toner and Clydesdale.
- Junior Quinn Madden (Mokena, Ill.) packed her stat sheet with a Lions best eight boards, two steals and four assists.
- The Lions banked 41.5% (27-65) from the field while they converted 37.5% (9-24) of its shots from the perimeter and 66.7% (8-12) from the charity stripe.
- Megan Foley and Sarah Gibbs put up 14 points apiece with Gibbs filled her stat line with a team best three steals as Brooke Dyson collected eight rebounds
- Gordon shot 25.0% (13-52) from the field and behind the arc (4-16) while they converted 70.6% (12-17) from the free throw line.
- Emerson topped Gordon on the glass (38-32) and handed out 18 assists to Gordon's eight along with turning 22 Fighting Scots turnovers into 27 points.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Within the opening five minutes of the first quarter, Emerson banged out an 11-0 spurt that was kicked off backed by a pair of treys from Boyle and Busch.
- Gordon put its first two points on the board at the 5:55 on a Foley layup before (11-2) before Emerson pieced together an 11-2 run to wrap the quarter with a 22-4 lead as Busch hit the trifecta with 11 seconds left.
- Despite Emerson narrowly outscoring Gordon 16-13 in the second frame, the Lions were looking at a 38-17 lead entering the half.
- The Lions' balanced attack held the Fighting Scots to a mere five points through the midway point of the second on a three from Dyson and a jumper from Gibbs (29-9) with 4:43 left to play in the half.
- Emerson packed on 11 more points through the remaining minutes of the quarter with the half's end capped off by a jumper from Busch.
- At the end of the first half, Emerson banked 40.0% from the floor while Gordon's offense fell cold and converted only 22.2% of its shots.
- The second half sealed the victory for Emerson as the Lions came out of the break outshooting the hosts 22-12 in the third to extend its lead to 60-29.
- Despite Gordon outscoring Emerson by a pair at 13-11, the Lions balanced attack on both ends proved to be too much as the visitors traveled back to Boston with a 71-42 win.
- Emerson opens up its home schedule on Monday, November 12 in a 1:00 p.m. meeting with neighboring Suffolk.
- Gordon takes to the road on Saturday, November 10 over at Rensselaer at 5:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS