Score: Emerson 91, Wentworth 43
Records: Emerson Lions (3-2) ; Wentworth Leopards (0-5)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
Date: Tuesday, November 20, 2018
The Lead: Junior Natalie Clydesdale (Pittsburgh, Penn.) and sophomore Sam Boyle (Scotts Valley, Calif.) each netted a game-high 16 points apiece with ever member of the Emerson women's basketball team marking up the stat sheet in the Lions' 91-43 win over Wentworth on Tuesday night.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Clydesdale finished 6-for-9 from the floor and 3-of-5 on the perimeter and was two assists shy of a double double with 8, while Boyle dished out 16 points going 3-for-4 on the free throw line f
- Rounding out the top Emerson scorers were senior Charlie Boyle (Scotts Valley, Calif.) with 13 points and sophomore Ashley Toner (Barnegat, N.J.) contributing 11.
- Junior Quinn Madden (Mokena, Ill.) handed out a team best five assists as sophomore Rachel Davey (Saratoga, Calif.) pulled down a game high nine boards and junior Kate Foultz (Thousand Oaks, Calif.) had three takeaways.
- Leading Wentworth on the floor was Emily Magasic, who poured in 11 points with five boards, one steal and one assist on 4-for-12 and Sam McGibbon followed up with 10 points and Stephanie Mini dished out three assists.
- Emerson converted 54.7% of its shots from the floor (35-64) with 13-of-26 shots from the three-point arc (50.0%) and nailed 8-of-14 from the charity line (57.1%).
- Wentworth finished shooting 26.9% overall (14-52) with a three-point percentage of 38.5% (5-13) and made 58.8% of its shots at the free throw line (10-17).
- The Lions pulled down 50 boards to the Leopards' 26 and held the advantage in assists (27-9) and were able to turn 14 Wentworth turnovers into 12 points.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson canned 65.0% of its shots from the floor in the opening quarter to gain a lengthy 32-7 advantage over Wentworth.
- Two the closest the Leopards would to the Lions as the hosts saw 17 consecutive points fall through within the 9:16 mark to 3:43 with the score at 19-2.
- A jumper by Mini and a triple by McGibbon tacked on five points for the Leopards over the next minute (25-7) as Davey's buzzer beating three capped off a late 7-0 run to end the quarter.
- Emerson outscored Wentworth 18-16 within the second frame and shot 54.4% as S. Boyle led the Lions with seven points to help the hosts to a commanding 50-27 lead going into the half.
- Clydesdale banked 11 of Emerson's 26 third stanza points, including 2-of-3 from the perimeter, to push Emerson to outscore Wentworth 28-6 and hold a 76-31 lead.
- The Lions' reserves came in the clutch during the fourth quarter with five points coming from freshman Julia Mallon (Katonah, N.Y.) to seal the hosts 91-43 win.
- Emerson dips its toes into NEWMAC play next Wednesday, November 28 and host Wellesley at 7:00 p.m.
- Wentworth will also be in conference action on Wednesday night as they entertain CCC foe Gordon at 5:30 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS