Score: Emerson 86, Smith 77
Records: Emerson Lions (7-3, 3-1 NEWMAC) ; Smith Pioneers (6-3, 2-2 NEWMAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
Date: Saturday, December 8, 2018
The Lead: Senior Charlie Boyle (Scotts Valley, Calif.) powered all scorers with a new career high of 36 points followed by 15 points from senior Natalie Busch (Weybridge, England) and 11 from sophomore Ashley Toner (Barnegat, N.J.) as the Emerson women's basketball team locked up an 86-77 NEWMAC win over Smith on Saturday afternoon.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- C. Boyle notched 36 points on a 13-of-20 day on the floor that included a perfect 10-of-10 at the free throw line along with five rebounds and four assists.
- Busch followed with 15 points, nine of which came from the perimeter, and pulled down eight boards and four assists.
- Toner rounded out the Lions top scorers and contributed 11 on a 2-of-5 day on the arc alongside three rebounds and four assists.
- Juniors Quinn Madden (Mokena, Ill.) and Natalie Clydesdale (Pittsburgh, Penn.) each registered three steals as sophomores Rachel Davey (Saratoga, Calif.) and Sam Boyle (Scotts Valley, Calif.) also handed out four assists.
- Lauren Bondi canned 30 in a 10-of-16 showing, including 8-8 at the charity stripe and 2-5 from the arc, and an additional 12 came from Kennedy Guest-Pritchett, who also grabbed nine rebounds.
- Katy McClellan and Emma Seymour dished out three assists apiece as four Pioneers registered one steal and saw two blocks from Stephanie Foukaris.
- Emerson finished canning 46.2% on the hardwood (30-65) and found success on both the three-point arc (50.0%) and charity line (85.7%).
- Smith converted 53.7% (29-54) overall with 41.7% of its shots coming on the perimeter and 63.6% at the free throw stripe.
- Both teams grabbed 32 rebounds off the glass, while Emerson handed out 21 assists and benefitted from 15 Pioneers turnovers for 13 points.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The score held at 2-0 through the opening two and a half minutes of the first until Emerson dropped seven points with its lead at five (9-4) after a triple from Busch.
- Holding a seven point lead (13-6) with 3:32 to go, Smith rattled off five and inched within a pair on Katelyn Pickunka's trip to the line (13-11).
- Smith put up two more before Emerson banked four on back-to-back treys from Davey and C. Boyle in the final minutes of the first to put the Lions ahead by seven (20-13).
- Emerson's offense hit a snag midway through the second frame and allowed Smith to gain its first lead over the Lions after McClellan sent up a layup with the Pioneers ahead by one (29-28).
- After McClellan's layup, the Pioneers worked a 7-2 run over the last 2:44 of the half as the visitors entered the half with a six point edge over Emerson (36-30).
- Smith tallied six points to open the third with Bondi dropping a pair at 7:36 as the Pioneers' lead ventured into double figures (42-32) and gained its biggest lead at 13 on another trey by McClellan (48-35).
- Set off by C. Boyle's layup at 5:17, Emerson's offense surged for the quarter's next 12 straight points as a triple by Toner capped off the lengthy run to put the Lions back in front (49-48).
- Bondi dropped five points over to keep Smith within one (54-53), but not before C. Boyle sent up a pair from the charity line to give the Lions a three point advantage going into the fourth (56-53).
- Emerson held its lead until 7:30 of the fourth when Smith pulled ahead at 58-57 as the score flip flopped over the next several minutes and locked in two ties.
- C. Boyle dropped the go-ahead trey at 3:17 with the Lions up one (71-70), a lead that they would hold onto through the remainder of regulation.
- The hosts were able to hold Smith within five (78-73) as four trips to the foul line iced Emerson's commanding 86-77 victory.
Emerson hits the road for its final game of 2018 over at Tufts at 7:00 p.m. on Tuesday, December 11.
Smith travels to Westfield on Wednesday, December 12 at 7:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS