Score: Emerson 78, Simmons 41
Records: Emerson Lions (8-4, 3-1 NEWMAC) ; Simmons Sharks (3-9, 0-0 GNAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
Date: Saturday, January 5, 2019
The Lead: In its first game of 2019, the Emerson women's basketball team used three double digit days from sophomore Sam Boyle (Scotts Valley, Calif.) and junior Quinn Madden (Mokena, Ill.) and Kate Foultz (Thousand Oaks, Calif.) to put away Simmons in a 78-41 non conference triumph on Saturday afternoon.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Boyle filled her stat line with a team leading 14 points on 4-of-8 and a perfect 6-of-6 at the free throw line to go with four blocks.
- Adding 13 points on 4-of-7 to lead the reserves was Foultz as Madden rounded out the scoring leaders contributing 11 points and pulled down seven boards along with three steals.
- Senior Natalie Busch (Weybridge, England), who tallied eight points, handed out a Lions-best four helpers along with two steals and three rebounds.
- Leading all scorers was Cassandra Staplefield, who drained 20 points on 7-of-15 from the field and dished out a pair of assists.
- Lauren Brandau collected six rebounds off the glass as both Kirra Courchesne and Molly Phillips each sent down one block apiece and Francesca Corsinetti caused two turnovers.
- Emerson canned 25-of-54 (46.3%) while converting 44.4% from the three and 69.0% on the charity line, while Simmons was held to shooting 29.8% on the floor, 33.3% from downtown and 80.0% at the free throw line.
- Emerson heavily out rebounded Simmons (40-26) and handed out 15 assists to the Sharks four all while the Lions benefited from 30 Sharks turnovers.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Boyle canned eight points to go along with three blocks in the opening quarter as the Lions defense forced seven Simmons turnovers to gain a 15-9 advantage.
- After Emerson gained a quick 4-0 lead, Phillips knocked in the kickstarting layup of a 7-0 run to pull ahead (7-4) and maintained the three point lead over the next minute.
- The Lions knotted the score twice between 5:31 and 4:11 as the hosts wrapped the frame keeping the Sharks scoreless in an 8-0 run (15-9).
- The second stanza saw Emerson quiet Simmons on both ends and held the Sharks to a mere six points while the Lions exploded for a 32-point frame for the 47-15 lead going into the half.
- With two quarters in the books, Emerson boasted three players on its roster in double figures as Madden led the way at 11 followed by 10 from both Boyle and Foultz.
- Emerson used a 54.5% field percentage to narrowly outscore Simmons 18-15 and ballooned its lead to 20+ at 64-30.
- The hosts held the Sharks shooting under 20% at 28.6% as the Lions went 4-of-8 and saw six points on a pair of triples from Busch to ice the 78-41 win.
- Emerson travels to Babson on Tuesday night with a 7:00 p.m. tip-off.
- Simmons begins GNAC play on Tuesday, January 8 hosting Lasell at 7:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS