Women's Basketball vs. Fisher
Wednesday, January 16, 2019
Boston, Mass. | Brown & Plofker Gym
Women's Basketball at Smith*
Saturday, January 19, 2019
Northampton, Mass. | Woodward Center
BOSTON, Mass. - Coming off win over Mount Holyoke this past Saturday, the Emerson women's basketball team enters a quiet week split between out of conference and NEWMAC play. The Lions start the week off hosting Fisher on Wednesday night and head on the road with a rematch at Smith on Saturday afternoon.
LAST WEEK ON REWIND
- After picking up a victory over Simmons to start 2019, Emerson shouldered back-to-back NEWMAC setbacks to both Babson and MIT before picking up a 79-36 conference win over Mount Holyoke.
- The Lions currently sit at 9-6 with a 4-3 record within the conference and are tied in the fourth slot with Smith in NEWMAC standings.
- Emerson saw its own senior Charlie Boyle (Scotts Valley, Calif.) etch her name into the women's basketball record books this past Saturday after banking her 1,000th point in a Lions uniform.
- An and-one allowed Boyle to notch her milestone point as she becomes the fifth Lion in women's basketball program history to reach the 1,000 point mark.
- The senior recorded a 15 point, seven rebound and two assist effort in the win over Mount Holyoke to also earn her the Lion of the Week accolade for the second time this season.
LIONS IN THE NEWMAC
- As a team, Emerson shoots 42.1% with 66.9 points per game and register a 36.0% on the three-point line while knocking down 65.0% at the free throw stripe.
- C. Boyle continues to be a power presence on the offensive end netting 13.5 points per game (6th) while shooting a NEWMAC-best 58.8 on the floor and converts 72.4% at the free throw line (9th).
- Sophomore Sam Boyle (Scotts Valley, Calif.) follows behind shooting 46.8% on the parquet (10th) and 73.2% at the charity stripe (7th) all while leading the Lions from deep at 45.5% (2nd) and sending down 1.1 blocks (5th).
- The Lions command the arc with four players knocking down 40% or better including S. Boyle, sophomore Ashley Toner (Barnegat, N.J.) at 42.2% (5th), junior Natalie Clydesdale (Pittsburgh, Penn.) at 41.0% (6th) and senior Natalie Busch (Weybridge, England) rounding out the pack at 40.4% (7th).
- Along with canning 41.0% on the perimeter, Clydesdale also causes 1.7 steals per game (10th) as junior Quinn Madden (Mokena, Ill.) wraps the leaders with 3.1 steals (T-5th).
SCOUTING THE FALCONS
- Fisher enters Wednesday's contest holding an overall record of 12-7 coming off a 103-42 win over Vermont Tech this past Saturday.
- The Falcons average 64.0 points per game on a shooting percentage of 35.5% while connecting 27.4% of its shots on the arc and 71.4% from the charity line.
- The 2017 season ended for Fisher in a loss to Stillman in the Association of Independent Institutions (AII) Quarterfinals to put the Falcons' record at 17-12 and 4-3 in the NAIA.
- Three players on Fisher's roster boast double digits in points per game, anchored by Vivian Lara with 17.3 followed by Kellie Gaston with 14.9 and Jenny-Lynn Eggers at 10.6, respectively.
- Lara also paces the Falcons with 7.5 rebounds per game and 46 total steals, while Gaston has sent down 11 blocks.
- The two teams last met back on January 28, 2017 at Emerson with the home team snagging a 10-point 71-61 victory.
SCOUTING THE PIONEERS
- Emerson matches up with Smith for the second time this season on Saturday as the Pioneers are coming off a 79-63 setback to Middlebury on Tuesday night to put their overall record at 10-5 and 4-3 NEWMAC.
- A shared 4-3 record in the NEWMAC ties Smith in fourth with Emerson in the standings.
- Since meeting with Emerson back in December, Smith averages 70.6 points per game while knocking down 44.2% of its shots to go with converting 36.6% at the perimeter and 65.8% o the line.
- The Pioneers have three players on its roster averaging double digits with Lauren Bondi anchoring the offense at 20.6 joined by 14.7 from Kennedy Guest-Pritchett and an additional 10.7 by Katy McClellan.
- Bondi racks up a three-point percentage of 42.6 to pace Smith offensively along side an 83.3% on the free throw stripe and also leads on the defensive end handing out 3.6 assists and 2.1 takeaways.
- Guest-Pritchett leads the Pioneers shooting 52.9% from the field and pulls down 12.1 boards per game while Stephanie Foukaris blocks 1.1 shots.
- The last meeting between Emerson and Smith came back on December 8, 2018 where C. Boyle cranked out a career-high 36 points to send the Lions to an 86-77 win over the Pioneers.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS