Score: Emerson 58, Fisher 52
Records: Emerson Lions (10-6, 4-3 NEWMAC) ; Fisher Falcons (12-8, 1-2 NIAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
Date: Wednesday, January 16, 2019
The Lead: Sophomore Sam Boyle (Scotts Valley, Calif.) connected for a season-high 22 points on 7-of-10 shooting as the Emerson women's basketball team held on to put away Fisher in a 58-52 win over the Falcons in non conference play on Wednesday night.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Boyle anchored Emerson with a season-best 22 points to go along with two assists, two steals and five boards and went 2-of-5 on the arc and 6-of-8 on the charity line.
- Sophomore Ashley Toner (Barnegat, N.J.) joined with 13 points as junior Kate Foultz (Thousand Oaks, Calif.) pulled down a team-high nine boards.
- On the defensive end, sophomore Rachel Davey (Saratoga, Calif.) dished out four assists and junior Quinn Madden (Mokena, Ill.) had three steals as five Lions registered two steals apiece.
- Vivian Lara powered Fisher with an overall game high 26 points on 10-of-22 while converting 4-of-9 on the perimeter along with nine boards and seven steals as Kellie Gaston registered 12 points.
- Emerson was 18-of-48 shooting (37.5%) while connecting for 7-of-23 on the arc and 15-of-22 at the free throw line, which Fisher went 20-of-57 (35.1%) including 8-of-23 from deep and 4-of-5 at the line.
- The Lions pulled down 37 boards and benefited from 29 Fisher turnovers while handing out 12 assists to Fisher's nine.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After junior Natalie Clydesdale (Pittsburgh, Penn.) banked a corner triple just 10 seconds into the first, Emerson tallied the next seven points for the 9-3 advantage.
- Lara sent up a jumper to push Fisher within one (11-10) and again inched within a pair after a triple by Misha O'Neal at 1:49 (15-13) as Emerson held onto the three-point advantage (16-13) going into the second.
- The hosts maintained a three point edge on a layup from Boyle at 8:39 before Lara knocked down the equalizing trifecta at the top of the key to lock the score at 18-all.
- Right off a timeout, Toner dished a trey at 6:47 to kickstart an 8-0 run highlighted by five points from Boyle (26-18) with the lead pushed to 26-18.
- Fisher answered with the quarter's next five points and closed the score to within three at the 3:02 mark (26-23) before Foultz muscled a long range shot to extend Emerson's lead to six at the half (29-23).
- In the early minutes of the third, a Boyle layup and jumper from Toner helped boost the Lions into a double figure lead at 12 (35-23) after a quick 6-0 spurt.
- Fisher wasted little time and came back with Lara connecting for five of the Falcons next seven points as the visitors found themselves within five (35-30) at 7:02.
- With 3:15 still left in the third, Fisher crawled back to a two-point margin after Jenny-Lynn Egger sent up a layup (38-36) as Emerson followed up with six insurance points on back-to-back triples from Clydesdale and Madden (44-36).
- A steal by Lara with 35 ticks left led to five points for the Falcons as a deep three from Gaston lifted the visitors back within three to wrap the third frame (44-41).
- Emerson's offense sparked life early in the fourth to balloon its advantage back into double digits as Boyle sent up a pair of freebies to put the score at 54-44 at 5:56.
- The hosts were able to hold Fisher to within a margin of at least seven through the remaining five minutes of the quarter until a jumper by Jocelyn Mendoza cut Emerson's lead down to four (56-52) with 13 seconds left in regulation.
- Madden registered a pair at the charity line with seven seconds on the clock to ice the victory for the Lions before Choon-Hee Chae's three-point try sailed to the right of the net.
- Emerson heads back into NEWMAC competition in a rematch at Smith on Saturday, January 19 at 2:00 p.m.
- Fisher travels to Simmons come Saturday as well with a 3:00 p.m. tip-off.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS