Score: Emerson 70, Coast Guard 66 (OT)
Records: Emerson Lions (13-8, 7-5 NEWMAC) ; Coast Guard Bears (5-15, 4-8 NEWMAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
Date: Saturday, February 2, 2019
The Lead: Four Lions put up double-digit efforts including sophomore Sam Boyle's (Scotts Valley, Calif.) team-high 17 points as the Emerson women's basketball team held on and prevailed in a 70-66 overtime NEWMAC win over Coast Guard on Saturday afternoon for its second straight conference victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- S. Boyle led Emerson's scoring with 17 points shooting 7-of-14 as senior Charlie Boyle (Scotts Valley, Calif.) contributed 12 points and saw 11 points from both sophomores Ashley Toner (Barnegat, N.J.) and Rachel Davey (Saratoga, Calif.).
- Senior Natalie Busch (Weybridge, England) pulled down eight rebounds, while junior Kate Foultz (Thousand Oaks, Calif.) handed out four assists and Toner came up with six steals.
- Micaela Martinelli paced all scorers with 19 points on 5-of-14 from the floor and completed a double-double with 13 boards alongside three steals.
- Emma Puddington put up 13 points with three assists and Kyra Hartman added 10 to round out Coast Guard's leaders.
- Emerson converted 24-of-54 (44.4%) and 19-of-27 on the free throw line (70.4%), while Coast Guard finished shooting 23-of-65 (35.4%) with a three-point percentage of 41.1% (8-19).
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The duo of S. Boyle and Toner nailed Emerson's first five baskets in a 12-2 run to give the Lions an early double figure cushion at 7:13 of the first frame.
- Puddington canned the next five Coast Guard points to push the Bears within five (12-7), the closest the Bears would come on two occasions.
- A trey from Davey and Busch's trip to the stripe closed out the first with Emerson in front by nine (19-10).
- Coast Guard came out the gate of the second scoring on its first three shots for a quick 7-0 run and narrowed Emerson's lead to two (19-17) at the 8:42 mark of the frame.
- Emerson created some distance at 24-17 with 2:42 left in the half after Foultz put up a jumper as Coast Guard registered four more points with the half closing at 25-21.
- S. Boyle began Emerson's third stanza off with a jumper in the post 13 seconds in with the lead at six (27-21), but at 7:55 Martinelli banked a long range shot at the start of a 6-0 run that got the visitors equalized at 27-all.
- S. Boyle, Madden and Busch all had shots fall through in Emerson's very own 6-0 run (33-27) at the 4:10 mark.
- Through the remainder of the third, Emerson mainlined a lead of no more than seven and concluded the quarter out with a six-point advantage (42-36).
- The Lions bumped its lead back to eight on Madden's trey only to have the Bears storm back with an 13-8 run and knotted the score 51-all as Breanna Wood sent up a layup at 3:25.
- A quick jumper by C. Boyle put Emerson ahead two for a short period before two consecutive Bears buckets pushed Coast Guard ahead for the first time with 59 seconds left in the third (55-53).
- Davey took to the charity stripe twice in the final 42 regulation seconds and equalized the score at 55-all to send the game into overtime.
- In the span of less than two minutes into overtime there were two ties, once at 59-all and the second time coming at 62-all on Kyra Hartman's triple after C. Boyle's layup had given Emerson a three-point edge.
- Emerson strung together another 4-0 run on several trips to the free throw line (66-64) and maintained the four point lead to hold onto a 70-66 overtime win.
- Emerson remains at home come Wednesday, February 6 and hosts Springfield at 7:00 p.m.
- Coast Guard steps away from NEWMAC play on Monday, February 4 hosting Merchant Marine at 6:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS