Women's Basketball vs. WPI*
Wednesday, February 13, 2019
Boston, Mass. | Brown & Plofker Gym
Women's Basketball at Mount Holyoke*
Saturday, February 16, 2018
South Hadley, Mass.
BOSTON, Mass. - With the final two tilts of 2019 on the horizon, the Emerson women's basketball looks to keep its playoff push rolling with a pair of conference matchups versus WPI and Mount Holyoke. The Lions celebrate seniors Natalie Busch (Weybridge, England) and Charlie Boyle (Scotts Valley, Calif.) when hosting WPI in its last regular season Wednesday at 7:00 p.m.. Then on Saturday, the Lions head off to Mount Holyoke to wrap its season at 1:00 p.m.
A LOOK BACK ON THE WEEK
- Emerson maintained a stay in the win column with two vital conference wins down the stretch over Springfield and Clark to move its overall record to 15-8 and 9-5 in the NEWMAC.
- A 9-5 conference record currently locks the Lions in the fifth spot in NEWMAC standings.
- It took three overtimes for Emerson to top Springfield last Wednesday night, but the Lions prevailed with the help of Boyle matching her career high of 36 points and a season-high 20 points from junior Kate Foultz (Thousand Oaks, Calif.).
- Saturday saw the Gray & Purple use the free throw line to scrape past Clark in a two-point win 67-65 win to keep its win streak alive at four.
HOME SWEET BROWN
- With the women snagging the last three of four wins down at Brown & Plofker, Emerson holds an 11-2 record when playing on its home parquet.
BOYLE GARNERS NEWMAC WOMEN'S OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
- Boyle averaged 22.5 in two NEWMAC wins over Springfield and Clark this past week, shooting an average of 70.4% from the floor and 87.5% from the free throw line, thus earning her NEWMAC Women's Basketball Offensive Player of the Week nods for the second time this season.
- In a triple overtime victory over Springfield, the senior forward tied her career high of 36 points, connecting on 15-of-20 attempts and making six-of-seven free throws.
- On the week, she added 10 total rebounds, two assists and two steals.
HONORING BOYLE AND BUSCH
- Both four year players on Emerson's roster, Busch and Boyle will both don the Gray & Purple for the final time on their home hardwood against WPI on Wednesday.
- Busch will graduate among Emerson's all-time career leaders in three-point and free throw percentage and adds to her impressive resume as the only Lion to record 600 points and 200 assists.
- Currently 11th in the nation in field goal percentage and a two-time NEWMAC All-Conference selection, Boyle will finish her career with the second highest shooting percentage in program history and became the fifth Lion to record her 1,000th career point.
SCOUTING THE ENGINEERS & LYONS
- WPI and Mount Holyoke enter the last week of the 2019 regular season as Emerson's final two opponents, both who have faced the Lions earlier in the season.
- The Engineers (10-12, 5-9 NEWMAC) have won its last pair of contests last week in a 71-56 win over Wheaton (Mass.) followed by a 60-38 victory at Mount Holyoke.
- WPI and Emerson last squared off in Worcester back on December 1, 2018 with the Lions trouncing the Engineers, 64-37.
- The Lyons of Mount Holyoke (1-22, 0-14 NEWMAC) are coming off a setback versus WPI last Saturday and will take on Clark (2/13) before meeting Emerson this coming weekend.
- In the last matchup between Emerson and Mount Holyoke on January 12, 2019, the Lions cruised past the visiting Lyons by the score of 79-36.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS