Score: Gordon 75, Emerson 72
Records: Emerson Lions (1-1, 0-0 NEWMAC) ; Gordon Fighting Scots (2-0, 0-0 CCC)
Location: Boston, Nass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
Date: Tuesday, November 14th, 2019
The Lead: The Emerson Women's Basketball Team fell to the visiting Gordon Fighting Scots on Thursday night in their home opener. The Lions were paced by a 25 point performance from Natalie Clydesdale (Pittsburgh, Penn.) and a 16 point performance off the bench from Kailee Yan.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Natalie Clydesedale: 25 Ppoints, 9 Reboundw, 4 Steals, 2 Assists
Kailee Yan: 16 Points, 3 Rebounds, 2 Steals, 1 Assist
Rachel Davey: 6 points, 5 Rebounds, 4 Assists
Meghan Foley: 30 Points, 8 Rebounds, 3 Assists, 2 Steals
Sarah Gibbs: 17 Points, 22 Rebounds, 4 Assists
Madison Wynbeek: 11 Points, 7 Reebounds, 2 Steals, 1 Assist
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson scored the first points of the game on a Sam Botle (Scotts Valley, Calif.) layup. Gordon tied the game at 7 just three minutes later. From here, the Fighting Scots went on a 9-2 run, taking a 16-9 lead. The Lions were able to cut the lead to five at the end of the quarter, when Kailee Yan hit two free throws to close out the quarter, bringing the score to 19-14.
- Emerson opened up the quarter on a 5-2 run behind a three point play from Natalie Clydesdale (Pittsburgh, Penn.), cutting the lead to two. Following a free thrwo from God, a Yan three pointer and Carla Pelino layup gave the Lions the two point lead at 24-22. Gordon was able to close out the set on an 11-3 run, taking a 33-27 lead into the half.
- The Fighting Scots scored the first five points of the second half, opening up their biggest lead of the night at 11, before bringing it to 13 with just under seven minutes left remaining in the third frame. After a timeout by Emerson, trailing 43-10, the Lions went on a 16-6 run, cutting the lead to three at 29-43. The run closed out with five straight points from Ashley Toner to close out the third quarter.
- In the fourth, Gordon was able to hold their lead at two for the first half of the frame, matching the Lions point for point. Trailing 58-55, Davey connected on her lone three pointer of the night, tying the game at 58 a piece. After trading baskets, Gordon took the lead with 43 seconds remaining on a pair of made free throws. Pelino finished a layup with 17 second left, knotting the score at 62 and sending the game to overtime. In the overtime period, the teams traded baskets, but the Fighting Scots went on a small five point run to take the lead for good, eventually winning 75-72.
- Emerson opens up their conference schedule on Saturday, when they welcome the WPI Engineers to the Brown & Plofker Gym at 3:00pm.