Score: Emerson 66, Wellesley 47
Records: Emerson Lions (2-2) ; Wellesley Blue (3-1)
Location: Middletown, Conn. (Silloway Gymnasium)
Date: Friday, November 22, 2019
The Lead: The Emerson women's basketball team powered their way back into the win column thanks to a 66-47 triumph over Wellesley to begin action at the Wesleyan (Conn.) Invitational on Friday night behind a 15-point night by junior Kailee Yan (Mercer Island, Wash.) and an additional 12 from junior Rachel Davey (Saratoga, Calif.).
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Points: Jiyun Chae (14) & Caitlin Aguirre (11)
Assists: Aguirre, Kendall You Mak and Pujita Shukla (2)
Rebounds: Aguirre & Caitrin Spottiswoode (5)
Steals: Shukla (3)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Davey nailed a three followed by a layup from Boyle in the opening minutes of the first quickly gave Emerson a three-point edge over Wellesley (5-2) before the two teams began to exchange leads throughout the course of the quarter.
- Wellesley gained a three-point lead of its own at the 1:58 mark when Shukla put up a layup only to be answered on the other end with senior Natalie Clydesdale (Pittsburgh, Penn.) banking the equalizing triple (11-11).
- With eight seconds left in the first stanza, Yan picked up an offensive rebound and turned it into the go ahead jumper that lifted Emerson to the 13-11 edge.
- Yan single handedly propelled the Lions to a seven point advantage a mere 27 seconds into the second on a jumper followed by three-point bucket (18-11).
- The seven-point lead was quickly erased down to one on a 6-0 Wellesley spurt with all six points tallied by Chae and was evened on a free throw from Valentina Morakis (18-18).
- Another three-pointer from Yan and Clydesdale's free throw pushed Emerson back in front by two at 22-20 just before Shukla squared the score on a layup at 2:26 (22-22).
- The Emerson offense took over the remaining 1:53 of the second and embarked on a 11-2 run, capped off by Davey's successful trip to the line, to enter halftime with the 32-24 lead.
- Emerson dominated the third quarter, holding Wellesley to just six points and shooting 25.0%, while the Lions knocked down 53.3% of its shots for 22 points and a comfortable 54-30 lead.
- Wellesley outscored Emerson within the fourth, 17-12, yet the Lions were able to keep the Blue far enough to hold on to the 66-47 victory.
- Emerson and Wellesley continue on play in the Wesleyan (Conn.) Inviational tomorrow against opponents yet to be announced.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS