Score: Endicott 18, Emerson 2
Records: Emerson Lions (0-1) ; Endicott Gulls (2-0)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Rotch Field)
Date: Saturday, March 3, 2018
The Lead: Sophomore Jenna Tomsky (Clinton, N.J.) tallied a pair of goals for the Lions as the Emerson women's lacrosse team fell 18-2 in its season opener against the Endicott Gulls in non-conference action on Saturday afternoon.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Tomsky registered her first two goals of the season and sophomore Sophia Gripari (London, United Kingdom) was credited with an assist.
- Junior Emily Quinn (Dartmouth, Mass.) won three draw controls and junior Jen Litchfield (Westborough, Mass.) caused a pair of turnovers.
- Senior net minder Kristina Modica (East Moriches, N.Y.) recorded nine stops through 60 minutes in between the pipes and also picked up a team-best four ground balls.
- Jennifer Lacroix paced all scorers with seven goals for Endicott on top of winning four draw controls, while Ali Campbell and Alex Fitzgerald each tallied three goals apiece.
- Also scoring for Endicott was Jackie Healy with two goals and Olivia Larson, Maggie Berger and Meghan Dutchyshyn each tallying one.
- Campbell was also credited with three assists and scooped up four ground balls.
- Bella Rino started the first half in net for the Gulls and allowed one goal with two saves, while Alexandra Rose manned the net in the second half and allowed one goal with three saves.
- Endicott outshot Emerson 33-10 and held the advantage in ground balls (22-11) and draw controls (14-8).
- Emerson finished the game going 7-for-23 in clears and went 1-for-2 on free-position shots, while Endicott finished 12-for-13 in clears and capitalized on 5-of-9 free-position shots.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Within the first five minutes of the opening frame, Endicott put four goals on the board including two from Lacroix, to grab an early 4-0 lead.
- Campbell put in Endicott's first net 57 seconds into the half (29:03) followed by a pair of nets from Lacroix and as a net from Larson at 25:35 capped off the early run.
- After Endicott put four early goals on the board, the Gulls tacked on another string of four nets as Emerson found themselves in an eight goal deficit at 16:10 on goals from Healy, Campbell and Lacroix.
- Tomsky's free position goal at 9:45 broke up Endicott's scoring and put Emerson on the board to put the score at 8-1.
- The Lions were able hold the Gulls scoreless over the next several minutes behind a strong defense, but the visitors were able to spread three goals through the remainder of the half as the score sat at 11-1.
- Endicott added its ninth goal at 6:34 on a net from Dutchyshyn before Fitzgerald wrapped scoring within the half with a pair of goals.
- Emerson started off the second half scoring with Gripari setting up Tomsky for her second goal of the game at 28:59 and brought the score to 11-2.
- After the Lions put a goal on the board, the Gulls answered with four consecutive markers, starting at 23:34 from Campbell followed by two from Lacroix and one from Healy to balloon the Gulls' lead to 15-2.
- The Lions were unable to stop the Gulls on the scoring end as the visitors tacked on three more goals within the final 11:44 of the second half to bring the final to 18-2.
- Emerson heads down to Florida for its spring break trip and will meet John Carroll in Bridgewater, Florida at 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, March 6.
- Endicott returns to its home turf on Wednesday, March 7 in a non-conference slate against Tufts at 7:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS