Score: Chapman 3, Emerson 0
Records: Emerson Lions (0-2) ; Chapman Panthers (3-0)
Location: Orange, Calif. (Wilson Field)
Date: Sunday, September 3, 2017
The Lead: The Emerson women's soccer team came up empty-handed in its 3-0 shutout loss to the Chapman Panthers in non conference women's soccer action at Wilson Field on Sunday afternoon to wrap up the Lions California action.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Junior Jess Frost (Palos Verdes Estates, Calif.) led Emerson with two shots.
- Senior netminder Laura Gartelman (Hamburg, N.Y.) (0-2) took the loss for the Lions as she manned the net for all 90 minutes with eight saves and allowed a trio of goals on 11 shots.
- Jordan Bradbury paced Chapman's offense with a pair of goals and one assist and Lindsay Erl notched a goal as well, while Taryn Silvergate and Emily Holbrook were credited with an assist apiece.
- Starting inbetween the pipes for the Panthers was Maeve O'Connor (3-0), who blanked the Lions and did not allow a goal on four shot attempts through 90 minutes.
- Emerson was outshot 25-4 by Chapman, as the Panthers also held the 5-4 corner kick edge.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Chapman took three shot attempts through the first 16 minutes of the opening half before Bradbury's flick gave the Panthers an early 1-0 lead over Emerson.
- On a pass crossed over from Silvergate, Bradbury rolled the ball into the left side past the reach of Gartelman.
- Frost sent up a shot that nearly squared the score at 1-1 with 11 ticks remaining in the first half only to have it ding the crossbar
- The Lions entered halftime down 1-0 and were outshot 9-4 by the Panthers through the first half.
- Emerson found themselves trailing by three nets after Chapman put two more points on the board in the 61st and 66th minute to up the score to 3-0.
- Erl connected with the ball and snuck the Panthers second goal into the top right corner within the 61st minute and was followed up by Bradbury's second goal that she rocketed into the bottom left corner.
- Coming off a pair of contests in California, Emerson returns to east coast action on Wednesday, September 6 at Tufts for a 4:00 p.m. non-conference game.
- Chapman heads out on the road for a non-conference matchup against Caltech on Tuesday, September 5 at 4:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS
• Stay updated on the Emerson women's soccer team and follow the Lions on Twitter @emersonwsoccer and Facebook Emerson College Women's Soccer. Also be sure to tune into Emerson Channel Sports to watch games live!