2017 Overall Record: 3-11-2 (3-7 NEWMAC)
BOSTON, Mass. - Ready for a fresh start, the Emerson College women's soccer team begins its 2018 campaign this upcoming weekend with a pair of out of conference road contests. The Lions open the young season across town at Emmanuel (Mass.) on Friday at 7:00 p.m.. Then on Sunday night, the Purple head off to Weston, Mass. for a matchup against the Pride of Regis (Mass.) at 6:00 p.m.
A LOOK BACK AT 2017
- Through 16 games, the Lions completed the 2017 season with an overall record of 3-11-2 to match a 3-7 record against NEWMAC opponents.
- Senior Jess Frost (Palos Verdes Estates, Calif.) paced Emerson last season with a team-leading five goals and three assists for 13 total points and nabbed a spot on Second Team All-Conference.
- The Lions also collected awards for their success in the classroom with 11 players representing Emerson on the Academic All-Conference team.
NEW SEASON, NEW FACES
- Emerson saw three seniors graduate this past season and will see 16 of last year's squad return to the field in 2018.
- On top of its 16 returners, the Lions welcome in a packed incoming class of 11 freshman who will suit up in the Purple, including Sophia Giordano (Alamo, Calif.), Megan Rose (Danville, Calif.), Grace Cosgrove (Sherman Oaks, Calif.), Ricki Kalayci (Delray Beach, Fla.), Jennifer Van Pelt (El Cerrito, Calif.), Nikala Cunningham (Redondo Beach, Calif.), Keelie Verbeck (Holliston, Mass.), Cameran Cruz (Landing, N.J.), Jenna Kase (Gaithersberg, Md.), Kayla McNamara (Sunrise, Fla.) and Silvia Dowdell (Winchester, Mass.).
SCOUTING THE SAINTS
- Coming off a 2017 season that saw Emmanuel (Mass.) finish 11-8-1 overall and 8-2-1 vs. GNAC opponents, the Saints were selected to place in the fourth spot of the GNAC Women's Soccer Preseason Poll.
- The Saints saw its 2017 season draw to a close at the hands of a 2-0 shutout by Simmons in the GNAC Quarterfinal round.
- Emmanuel (Mass.) will be under the helm of first year head coach Greg Visinho after the departure 2017 GNAC Coach of the Year Dan Campagna this past offseason.
- Emerson and Emmanuel (Mass.) last squared off back on August 30, 2014 where the Saints captured a 2-0 victory over the Lions.
- Key returners for the Saints include senior Kayla Generis along with juniors Katherine O'Kane and Abbey McKenelley.
- McKenelley found the back of the net a total of seven times to co-lead the Saints in goals with Generis.
SCOUTING THE PRIDE
- The Pride of Regis (Mass.) completed its inaugural season in the GNAC holding an overall record of 5-10-1 that included a conference record of 3-7-1.
- Rookie Payton Fitzgerald topped the stat sheet for the Pride with a team-best eight goals and two helpers for 18 points in 15 games played, which earned her a place on Third Team All-Conference.
- The last time Emerson and Regis (Mass.) matched up was back on October 4, 2016 at Rotch Field where the Lions cruised past the Pride, 5-0.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS