Score: Emerson 5, Regis (Mass.) 0
Records: Emerson Lions (2-0) ; Regis (Mass.) Pride (1-1)
Date Sunday, September 2, 2018
Location: Weston, Mass.
The Lead: The Emerson women's soccer team saw goals from five different Lions including seniors Paige Haley (San Diego, Calif.) and Jess Frost (Palos Verdes Estates, Calif.), junior Mallory Hanson (Plymouth, Mass.), sophomore Amanda Benavente (Boca Raton, Fla.) and freshman Grace Cosgrove (Sherman Oaks, Calif.) to lock down a 5-0 shutout win over Regis (Mass.) on Sunday night in women's soccer action.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Along with goals from Frost, Haley, Cosgrove and Hanson, Benavente also came up with a goal as well as assist.
- Senior Elizabeth Noble (Long Beach, Calif.) and freshman Jennifer Van Pelt (El Cerrito, Calif.) were also credited with a helper.
- Freshman Sophia Giordano (Alamo, Calif.) made her collegiate debut in goal within the first half and made one stop and classmate Megan Rose (Danville, Calif.) manned the net in the second frame with one stop.
- Emma Mendes, Emily Lange, Julia Walsh and Rachel Kelly all had one shot each for Regis.
- Regis (Mass.) started Oriana Attridge in net for the first 45 minutes and came away with five stops before Angie Caldwell entered in the second half where she made seven stops.
- Emerson heavily held the advantage in shots (31-4) as well as corner kicks at 4-2.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson began its scoring within the eighth minute of the opening frame when Benavente took a turnover up the left side and sent a crossed pass over to Cosgrove, who collected the ball in front and fired it into the back of the net.
- The visitors bumped the score to 2-0 in the 20th minute after Frost broke away up the right and blasted her third goal of the season past Attridge.
- It was the second half that saw Emerson balloon its lead and started midway through the frame when Haley redirected a pass from Noble past Caldwell with the score now at 3-0.
- Benavente found herself one-on-one with a Regis defender six minutes later and scooted past her, which allowed Emerson's fourth goal to find the back of the net.
- The Lions sealed its victory in the 89th minutes after Hanson picked up her first goal of the season off a helper by Van Pelt.
- Van Pelt nearly tacked on a goal of her own to bump the lead to six, but Caldwell was there to make the stop.
- Emerson opens its home schedule on Wednesday, September 5 when they host Tufts at 6:00 p.m.
- Regis (Mass.) continues home play, hosting Eastern Nazarene at 7:00 p.m. on Tuesday, September 4.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS