Score: Tufts 4, Emerson 0
Records: Emerson Lions (2-1) ; Tufts Jumbos (1-0)
Date: Wednesday, September 5, 2018
Location: Boston, Mass. (Rotch Field)
The Lead: The Emerson women's college team were upended for the first time in a young 2018 season in a 4-0 shutout by the Tufts Jumbos in its home opener on Wednesday night in non conference women's soccer action.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Freshman Grace Cosgrove (Sherman Oaks, Calif.) registered three shots and senior Jess Frost (Palos Verdes Estates, Calif.) registered one shot on goal.
- Freshman Megan Rose (Danville, Calif.) took the loss for Emerson with 11 stops through 90 minutes in net.
- Tufts saw two goals from Sophie Lloyd and one each from Jenna Broccoli and Ashley Latona.
- Tufts net-minder Emily Bowers notched the win and came up with two stops.
- Emerson was outshot by Tufts (24-4) were edged out in corner kicks (8-5).
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Tufts jumped into the scoring mix two minutes after the whistle blew (1:08) when Lloyd dodged past a defender in the top left side of the box with the ball just beating the dive of Rose to her left.
- While the scored stayed 1-0 in Tufts favor, Frost launched a shot just past the midfield line on the right wing that was going towards the top lefthand corner, but Bowers got her hands on it before fully recovering the ball on the ground.
- The second half saw the visitors bump their lead up to 4-0 starting with a net from Troccoli in the 50th minute followed by Lloyd's second net making its way into the net after the ball rebounded off Rose's initial save.
- Tufts reserves came in clutch in the 67th minute with a marker from Latona to seal the visitors win.
- Emerson gets back in action in its second home game of the week when they host Wesleyan (Conn.) at 1:00 p.m. on Saturday, September 8.
- Tufts continues its road play on Saturday as well and head to Colby for a 12:30 p.m. contest.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS