Score: Emerson 2, Mount Holyoke 1
Records: Emerson Lions (4-2, 1-0 NEWMAC) ; Mount Holyoke Lyons (2-3, 0-1 NEWMAC)
Date: Saturday, September 14, 2018
Location: South Hadley, Mass.
The Lead: Both freshman Grace Cosgrove (Sherman Oaks, Calif.) and sophomore Amanda Benavente (Boca Raton, Fla.) tallied goals for the Emerson women's soccer team to put the Lions back in the win column with a 2-1 win over Mount Holyoke, which also counted as its first NEWMAC win of 2018 on Saturday afternoon.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Cosgrove and Benavente tallied the two goals for Emerson, both unassisted.
- Emerson freshman Megan Rose (Danville, Calif.) and classmate Sophia Giordano (Alamo, Calif.) split time in net for the Lions as Giordano picked up her first collegiate win with three saves in the first second half with Rose in net for the first and allowed one goal with two stops.
- Hannah Finn-Erb recorded Mount Holyoke's only goal with the assist given to Dale Leonheart.
- Amanda Manaster manned the goal for Mount Holyoke and allowed two goals while she came away with 10 stops.
- Emerson heavily outshot Mount Holyoke, 20-6, and held the 9-0 advantage in corner kicks over the Lyons.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- A shot by junior Veronica Alberts (Half Moon Bay, Calif.) hit Manaster in the head and bounced back into the playing field, which Cosgrove recovered after a Lyons defender tried to head the ball out of the way and fired the loose ball into the open left corner to give the Lions a 1-0 lead (7:52).
- The host Lyons answered in the 26th minute as Finn-Erb got ahead of two Emerson defenders after Leonheart sent a free kick downfield and kept the ball onsides before she sent the equalizer straight into the left corner.
- Emerson banked its second and game winning goal in the 62nd minute of the second frame thanks to a Mount Holyoke handball foul that led to a Lions free kick that Benavente clanked off the left post and buried into the left post.
- Mount Holyoke had several chances within the final 30 minutes of regulation including a chance with 20 minutes left where Finn-Erb sailed down the middle with the ball only to have Giordano deflect the shot.
- Senior Paige Haley (San Diego, Calif.) stuffed in a pass from sophomore Modesty Sanchez (Lakewood, Calif.), but the goal was erased due to an offsides call.
- Emerson steps back into non conference soccer on Wednesday, September 19 down at Trinity (Conn.) at 6:30 p.m .
- Mount Holyoke will be on the road at Wesleyan (Conn.) on Tuesday, September 18 at 4:30 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS