Score: Springfield 2, Emerson 1
Records: Emerson Lions (4-4, 1-1 NEWMAC) ; Springfield Pride (6-1-1, 2-0 NEWMAC)
Date: Saturday, September 22, 2018
Location: Boston, Mass.
The Lead: Freshman Kayla McNamara (Sunrise, Fla.) knocked in her first collegiate goal in the fourth minute of the opening half, but the Emerson women's soccer team allowed Springfield two second half goals and were edged out 2-1 on Saturday afternoon in NEWMAC play.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- McNamara tallied Emerson's goal with the assist credited to senior Jess Frost (Palos Verdes Estates, Calif.).
- Freshman goalie Megan Rose (Danville, Calif.) was tagged with the loss and allowed two goals with nine stops through 90 minutes.
- Amanda Wright and Sara Swetland notched both Springfield goals and Alyana Sosa was credited with one assist.
- Izzy Inglese manned the net for the Pride and came away with six stops with one goal allowed.
- Springfield outshot Emerson 17-10 and the Lions held the corner kick advantage over the Pride, 5-1.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After a long throw in, Emerson was able to tack on the game's first goal in the fourth minute of the opening half when the ball was smacked around the front of the goal until McNamara found the ball and punched it just underneath Inglese into the bottom right corner.
- Despite holding a 1-0 lead after the first 45 minutes, Emerson was outshot by Springfield, 6-5.
- Springfield locked the score 1-all in the 48th minute when Swetland carried the ball down the right side and passed it over to Sosa, who then crossed it over an open Wright on the left and booted the ball in with her left foot.
- The Pride capitalized on an Emerson foul within the 62nd minute and pushed ahead as Swetland tallied a penalty kick just past the reach of Rose.
- Emerson heads over to Lesley in the playing of the 7th Annual Charles River Cup at 8:00 p.m. on Tuesday, September 25.
- Springfield returns home to host Mount Holyoke on Saturday, September 29 at 3:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS