Women's Soccer vs. Smith (6-5, 1-2 NEWMAC)
Tuesday, October 2, 2018
Women's Soccer vs. WPI (7-4, 1-2 NEWMAC)
Saturday, October 6, 2018
Rotch Field | Boston, Mass.
A LOOK BACK ON THE WEEK
- Due to the cancellation of Tuesday's Charles River Cup over at Lesley, Emerson had one game this past week and road tripped up to New York to take on Sage College.
- The Lions came back to Boston victorious in a 2-1 victory behind goals from senior Paige Haley (San Diego, Calif.) and junior Veronica Alberts (Half Moon Bay, Calif.).
- With the win against Sage, the Lions record now stands at 5-4 and 1-1 in the NEWMAC.
- Senior Jess Frost (Palos Verdes Estates, Calif.) and sophomore Amanda Benavente (Boca Raton, Fla.) each sit atop the goals category with three each.
- Benavente also paces Emerson with two assists along with senior Elizabeth Noble (Long Beach, Calif.) as well as in points with eight.
- Emerson's freshman keeper Megan Rose (Danville, Calif.) ranks tied for fifth amongst NEWMAC goalies with 45 saves through nine games.
SCOUTING THE PIONEERS
- Smith is coming off a 2-0 setback at the hands of WPI this past Saturday afternoon to put their overall record at 6-5 and 1-2 in the NEWMAC.
- Smith has found the back of the net 16 times within 11 games averaging 1.45 goals per game and send up 12.6 shots for a shot percentage of .115%.
- In 2017, the Pioneers finished out the season at 6-10-1 with a 2-8 showing in the conference.
- The last meeting between Smith and Emerson on October 3, 2017 ended with Lions 1-0 victory thanks to a goal from Frost.
- Smith and Emerson have played each other five times with the Lions taking the 3-1-1 all-time series lead.
- Zufan Bazzano has notched a team-best six goals for Smith for 12 points while Peyton McBride follows on the stat sheet with a trio of goals and four helpers for 10 points.
- In net for the Pioneers is Naomi Falkenberg, who has a record of 6-5 with a goals against average of 1.59 and has 54 saves for a save percentage of .771% in three shutouts.
SCOUTING THE ENGINEERS
- WPI notched its first NEWMAC triumph of 2018 in a 2-0 shutout over Smith this past Saturday to move the Engineers' record to 7-4 and 1-2 in the conference.
- Before coming to Boston this coming Saturday, WPI will face NEWMAC foe Babson on Tuesday.
- The Engineers have netted 26 goals in 11 games and average 2.36 goals per game on a shot percentage of .129 and 13.3 shots per contest.
- Emerson and WPI last met on October 7, 2017 where the Engineers took the 3-0 win in Boston in a 2017 season that saw the Engineers finish at 10-7 / 4-4-2 NEWMAC.
- The Lions trail the all-time series against the Engineers, 0-6, dating back to September 19, 2012, a year before Emerson entered the NEWMAC.
- WPI currently has four Engineers who have recorded 10+ points including Leah Beauton, Kristin McCrea, Becca Hoffgood and Sofia Oricco.
- McCrea leads the way with 17 points on six goals and three assists followed by Beauton, who has eight goals for 16 points.
- Hoffgood and Oricco have four goals apiece with Hoffgood at 11 points and Orbico at 10, respectively.
- In 840+ minutes in between the pipes for WPI, Gabriela Hoops (6-5) has made 41 stops for a save percentage of .788% to match a goals against average of 1.18 having allowed 11 goals.
- Mandy St. Germain has appeared in net for four games for the Engineers (1-0) for a total of 136+ minutes and has come up with five saves.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS