Score: Emerson 2, Smith 1
Records: Emerson Lions (6-4, 2-1 NEWMAC) ; Smith Pioneers (6-6, 1-3 NEWMAC)
Location: Northampton, Mass.
Date: Tuesday, October 3, 2018
The Lead: Freshman Goalkeeper Megan Rose (Danville, Calif.) corralled 16 saves for the Lions to preserve a 2-1 victory over the Pioneers of Smith College in a New England Women's And Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) matchup.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- 43' – Emerson opened the scoring through Jennifer Van Pelt (El Cerrito, Calif.), who grabbed a loose ball at the top of Smith's 18-yard box. Van Pelt found Paige Haley (San Diego, Calif.) with a slick through ball which put Haley through on net and she was able to convert to put the Lions up 1-0.
- 73' – 30 minutes after the opening goal, Grace Cosgrove (Sherman Oaks, Calif.) found herself at the top of the box with the ball after an unsuccessful clear by Smith. Cosgrove fired and the ball slotted into the bottom left corner, giving Emerson a 2-0 lead.
- 74' – Smith grabbed a goal back a minute later through Krissy Williams, who latched onto a cross by Jessica Matsuoka which she headed into the net just past a diving Megan Rose.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Goalkeeper Megan Rose faced 18 shots on goal, making 16 saves on the day.
- Smith totaled 34 shots to Emerson's 11.
- Cosgrove converted one of her two shots, and Haley converted her only shot of the game.
- Naomi Faikenberg made five saves on Emerson seven shots on net.
- Emerson is off until Wednesday when they welcome the WPI Engineers to Rotch Field in another vital NEWMAC matchup, starting at 1:00pm.