Women's Soccer at Wheaton (Mass.) (9-2-1, 2-2 NEWMAC)
Tuesday, October 9, 2018
Norton, Mass. | Keefe Field
Women's Soccer at Wellesley (3-7-1, 0-4-1 NEWMAC)
Saturday, October 13, 2018
A LOOK BACK ON THE WEEK
- The first week of October for Emerson opened with a pair of NEWMAC contests starting on the road at Smith on Tuesday before coming home to face WPI on Saturday.
- A 16 save day for freshman keeper Megan Rose (Danville, Calif.) along with goals from senior Paige Haley (San Diego, Calif.) and freshman Grace Cosgrove (Sherman Oaks, Calif.) locked a 2-1 conference win over Smith.
- Despite an early first half marker from junior Veronica Alberts (Half Moon Bay, Calif.) against WPI on Saturday, the Lions came up short in a 3-1 setback to the Engineers down at Rotch.
- Four Lions, consisting of Cosgrove, Haley, sophomore Amanda Benavente (Boca Raton, Fla.) and senior Jess Frost (Palos Verdes Estates, Calif.) now sit atop the goals column with three goals apiece.
- Coming in with two helpers each are Benevante, Frost, freshman Jennifer Van Pelt (El Cerrito, Calif.) and senior Elizabeth Noble (Long Beach, Calif.).
- Rose currently ranks second in the NEWMAC within the saves category at 68.
SCOUTING THE LYONS
- Winners of its last two consecutive games over Smith and Wellesley, Wheaton enters Tuesday's meeting at 9-2-1 with a 2-2 NEWMAC record.
- Wheaton's 2-2 record within conference plays sits the Lyons in a three-way tie for fourth in the standings with both Emerson and Clark.
- Through 12 games, the Lyons have found the back of the net 34 times and average 2.83 goals a game on 18.1 shots for a shot percentage of .157%.
- The Lyons topped WPI 2-1 in the 2017 NEWMAC Quarterfinals, but withdrew themselves from postseason play after events that transpired on campus.
- 2017 saw Wheaton finish at 15-3-1 with an 8-2 showing in NEWMAC play, including a 2-1 win over Emerson at Rotch on October 10, 2017.
- A total of 17 points on a team leading seven goals with three assists paces Chloe Troy on the stat sheet for Wheaton, followed by Aymara O'Brien-Pappalardo with 17 points on five helpers and six goals.
- In net for Wheaton is Amanda Barbagallo, who through 11 games holds a record of 8-2-1 in 965+ minutes with a goals against average of 1.40 and .792 save percentage.
SCOUTING THE BLUE
- Wellesley have dropped its last two games with its most recent setback coming in a 2-0 shutout at Springfield on Saturday as its record stands at 3-7-1 and 0-4-1 in the NEWMAC.
- The Blue will be in conference action before its meeting with Emerson and will face MIT on Tuesday.
- 11 games into the season, Wellesley has netted four goals and average 7.3 shots per game while holding opponents to .98 goals a game.
- 2017 saw the Blue take a trip to the NEWMAC Quarterfinals where they drew a 0-0 penalty kick tie with Springfield to put its record at 6-8-4 overall and 5-4-1 in the conference.
- One of Wellesley's five 2017 conference wins came back on October 14, 2017 and blanked Emerson 2-0 at Rotch.
- Four players on the Blue have registered one goal with Emily Tran leading the way with a goal and two helpers for a team leading four points.
- Olivia Reckley has manned the net in all 11 games for Wellesley (3-7-1) with a .98 goals against average and .853 save percentage within 1080 minutes in goal.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS