Score: Emerson 2 (7-5, 3-2 NEWMAC), Wheaton (Mass.) 1 (9-3-1, 2-3 NEWMAC)
Records: Emerson Lions
Location: Norton, Mass. (Mirrione Stadium)
Date: Tuesday October 9, 2018
The Lead: The Emerson Women's Soccer Team earned a New Engalnd Women's And Men's Athletic Conference victory over the Wheaton Lyons behind a late game winner by senior Jess Frost (Palos Verdes Estates, Calif.), which broke a tie in the NEWMAC standings to put Emerson in sixth place ahead with five conference games remaining.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Both teams had eight shots on the afternoon with Wheaton edging out Emerson in shots on goal 5-4.
- Frost led the Lions in shots with three. Megan Rose (Danville, Calif.) made four saves for the Lions while Alexa Barbagallo made two for Wheaton.
- Emerson had one less corner kick than Wheaton with 6.
- Two players scored and two players assisted for Emerson.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- 30' - Whaton struck first with a rebound goal by Kenza Farid. The ball was fired by Aymara O'Brien-Pappalardo toward Emerson's net, forcing a save by Rose. The rebound fell to the feet of Faird who slotted home to give Whaton a 1-0 lead.
- 31' - Just one minute later Emerson found the back of the net to knot the game at one. The Lions earned a corner right after the kickoff. The corner was sent in by Frost who found an open Grace Cosgrove (Sherman Oaks, Calif.), who fired to the back of the net to tie the game.
- 81' - After the game stayed deaclocked for almost an hour, Emerson earned a freekick outside Wheaton's 18-yard box. The kick was whipped in by Sophomore Amanda Benavente (Boca Raton, Fla.) and found a darting Jess Frost who made a solid connection and was able to beat Wheaton's goalkeeper to give Emerson the 2-1 lead. The Lions held on to earn the win.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS