Score: Emerson 4, Coast Guard 1
Records: Emerson Lions (8-5-1, 4-2-1 NEWMAC) ; Coast Guard Bears (7-6-1, 4-3-1 NEWMAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Rotch Field)
Date: Tuesday, October 16, 2018
The Lead: Goals from sophomore Modesty Sanchez (Lakewood, Calif.), seniors Jess Frost (Palos Verdes Estates, Calif.) and Paige Haley (San Diego, Calif.) and junior Veronica Alberts (Half Moon Bay, Calif.) along with a pair of assists by Frost propelled the Emerson women's soccer team to a huge 4-1 NEWMAC win over the visiting Coast Guard on Tuesday night under the lights.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Sanchez, Frost, Haley and Alberts all registered each of the Emerson goals with two assists credited to Frost.
- Freshman keeper Megan Rose (Danville, Calif.) earned the win with six stops on seven shots through 70 minutes, while classmate Sophia Giordano (Alamo, Calif.) finished out the final 20 minutes and stopped all three shots on target.
- Claire Hurley led Coast Guard with four shots including three on goal and Brielle Pearce followed with three shots and two on goal.
- Coast Guard goalie Katharine Commins shouldered the loss on four saves while she allowed four goals on eight shots as Emily Rivera manned the net for the final 23 minutes with two saves.
- Coast Guard outshot Emerson, 16-14, and held the 6-2 corner kick advantage.
HOW IT HAPPENED
13": Commins came out of the net to corral a ball down only to collide with her own teammate, which allowed Sanchez to put in Emerson's first goal, which also counted as her first collegiate goal, into an empty net.
28": Emerson punched in the go-ahead goal eight minutes later on a through ball from Frost that made its way to the foot of Haley, who then connected on a left footed shot that made its way into the bottom right corner.
32': A foul proved costly enough for Coast Guard to give Emerson a penalty kick opportunity that the Lions capitalized as Frost put the hosts ahead with a shot that landed in the left side past Commins.
58": The Lions added one more goal in the early minutes of the second half to balloon its lead to 4-0 after Frost collected a throw in from senior Elizabeth Noble (Long Beach, Calif.) and flicked the ball to Alberts, who parked the ball to the back corner just off the inside left post.
64": Coast Guard erased a shutout deficit when Lombardi slotted the Bears first goal into the bottom corner with the score at 4-1 in Emerson's favor.
- Emerson celebrates its senior day on Saturday, October 20 and hosts Babson at 4:00 p.m.
- Coast Guard is also in action on Saturday as they host Clark at 1:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS