Score: Emerson 3, Babson 2
Records: Emerson Lions (9-5-1, 5-2-1 NEWMAC) ; Babson Beavers (5-9-2, 2-6 NEWMAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Rotch Field)
Date: Saturday, October 20, 2018
The Lead: The seniors of the Emerson women's soccer team led the way as Kira Venturini (Wallingford, Penn.), Paige Haley (San Diego, Calif.) and Jess Frost (Palos Verdes Estates, Calif.) each netted goals with two assists coming from Frost in the Lions' 3-2 victory over Babson, which counted as its first win over the Beavers in program history on Saturday afternoon.
Prior to today's contest, head coach David Suvak and assistant coaches Kate Ryder, Loy Urbina and Colin Connolly recognized its 2019 senior class consisting of Frost, Haley, Rachel Lord (Burlington, Conn.), Serina Bailiff Curtis (San Diego, Calif.), Alexandra Hanson (Fresno, Calif.), Elizabeth Noble (Long Beach, Calif.) and Venturini for their dedication to the women's soccer program throughout their collegiate careers.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Frost put up another four-point showing with a goal and pair of helpers along with goals from Venturini and Haley.
- Freshman keeper Megan Rose (Danville, Calif.) stopped five shots on target and allowed two goals on seven total shots in the win for Emerson.
- Jessica DeLuca and Julia Lindsay both found of the back of the net for Babson, both unassisted.
- Babson netminder Elizabeth Mycock shouldered the setback in net for the Beavers with one save and three goals allowed.
- Babson outshot Emerson, 15-7, and held the advantage in corner kicks, 7-6.
- Emerson had 14 infractions called their way, while Babson was called for 10.
HOW IT HAPPENED
2": Emerson wasted no time and gave themselves an early 1-0 edge after Frost booted a perfectly placed corner kick right in front of the net that Venturini connected with on its way down and headed the ball into the top left corner.
28": Frost started the play as she collected ball and passed up to an open Haley, who beat out the defender one on one in the box to punch in go ahead off left foot into bottom left hand corner past Mycock with the score at 2-0.
67": Babson made its way into the scoring mix deep in the second half and took advantage of an Emerson foul that drew a penalty kick as DeLuca put the Beavers within one on a goal at 2-1 that landed past Rose's left reach.
71": The Lions bumped its advantage back up to two on a play that started on a pass from sophomore Amanda Benavente (Boca Raton, Fla.) to Frost and carried the ball up the middle with a defender on her tail and put in the third Lions goal into the back of the net.
77": A long strike 30 yards out from Lindsay landed in the top lefthand corner that once again pushed Babson back within one at 3-2.
- Emerson hosts Clark in its 2018 regular season home schedule on Tuesday, October 23 at 7:00 p.m.
- Babson closes its road schedule out over at Wellesley in a 3:00 p.m. contest on Tuesday, October 23.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS