Score: MIT 3, Emerson 0
Records: Emerson Lions (10-6-1, 6-3-1 NEWMAC) ; MIT Engineers (14-2-3, 9-0-1 NEWMAC)
Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Steinbrenner Stadium)
Date: Friday, October 26, 2018
The Lead: The Emerson women's soccer team shouldered its first NEWMAC setback since October 6th as the Lions capped off its 2018 regular season blanked by MIT in a 3-0 setback on Friday afternoon. Emerson will now wait for its postseason seeding with the conclusion of the regular season on Sunday.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Sophomore Amanda Benavente (Boca Raton, Fla.) led Emerson with two shots while four other Lions registered one shot on goal apiece.
- Freshman goalie Sophia Giordano (Alamo, Calif.) took the loss in net for Emerson with a season high 10 stops while she allowed three goals on 13 shots on target.
- Hailey Nichols picked up a three point game on a goal and assist while Maya Nielan netted one goal and Sarah Dilorio also credited with an assist.
- MIT outshot Emerson, 19-8, and also held an edge in corner kicks, 4-2.
HOW IT HAPPENED
17": Dilorio was able to get her foot on the ball in the midst of a scramble in front of the net and chipped the ball over to Nichols to put the Engineers up 1-0.
25": MIT grabbed a 2-0 advantage going into the second half as a low crossed pass by the Lions somehow managed to take a hard deflection of its own defender and into the net for an own goal.
74": Down 2-0 with 15 minutes left on the clock of the second frame, Emerson allowed the hosts to put its third and final goal on the board thanks to a header by Nichols from a corner that was initially saved by Giordano and eventually put back into the net by Nielan.
- Both MIT and Emerson await their respective seedings after the conclusion of the 2018 regular season on Saturday morning.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS