Score: Emerson 1, Babson 0
Records: Emerson Lions (11-6-1, 7-3-1 NEWMAC) ; Babson Beavers (7-10-2, 4-7 NEWMAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Rotch Field)
Date: Tuesday, October 30, 2018
The Lead: Junior Veronica Alberts' (Half Moon Bay, Calif.) marker in the 18th minute was enough for the Emerson women's soccer team to knock off the No. 6 Babson Beavers 1-0 in its first playoff win in the NEWMAC Quarterfinal round on Tuesday night.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Alberts netted Emerson's goal with the assist credited to senior Jess Frost (Palos Verdes Estates, Calif.).
- Freshman keeper Megan Rose (Danville, Calif.) held Babson scoreless and came away with five stops on five shots on target.
- Julia Janikies, Emma Dineen and Maggie McCabe all tallied two shots each with Janikies shots both on goal.
- Babson goalie Kayla Salmon stopped three shots on target and allowed on goal on four total shots.
- Emerson and Babson shot an even 10-10 while the Beavers held the 4-2 corner kick advantage.
HOW IT HAPPENED
18": Just before the midway point of the opening half, Emerson was able to tack on the game's first goal to give the hosts the 1-0 edge. The play started when Frost carried a pass and sent the ball over the head of Alberts, who collected the ball in front of her before going one on one with Salmon and used her right foot to boot the ball into the back of the net.
- Emerson was able to contain Babson through the remainder of regulation to hold on to the 1-0 triumph over the Beavers.
- Emerson will face No. 2 Springfield in the semifinal round on Thursday, November 1 at 7:00 p.m. at Springfield.
- Babson's season has come to end.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS