Score: Emerson 2, Plymouth State 1
Records: Emerson Lions (2-0) ; Plymouth State Panthers (0-1)
Location: Plymouth, N.H. (Arold Field)
Date: August 31, 2019
The Lead: With the help of two goals by sophomore Grace Cosgrove (Sherman Oaks, Calif.) and two assists by classmate Kayla McNamara (Sunrise, Fla.), the duo led the Emerson women's soccer team to a comeback 2-1 victory over Plymouth State on Saturday for its second straight win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Cosgrove - 2 goals
McNamara - 2 assists
Goalie: Megan Rose - 1 goal allowed on five shots, 4 saves through 90 minutes
Jordan Meier - 1 goal
Goalie: Cat Robbins - 2 goals allowed on four shots, 2 saves through 90 minutes
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Plymouth nearly cashed in on early scoring opportunity in the second half when Meier ran up the left side, entered the box, cut back and was able to get a shot off, but it was stopped by Rose.
- Caitlin Catania carried the ball up the field before Meier headed the cross in a little over three minutes into the second as the Panthers snapped the scoreless streak for the 1-0 lead.
- Cosgrove banked her first of two goals midway through the half and spoiled Plymouth State's shutout when she headed a centering pass from the top of the box from McNamara to even the score, 1-1.
- Emerson sealed the game with 18 seconds left when Cosgrove poked a through ball past the reach of Robbins for the 2-1 win.
- Emerson takes to the field on Wednesday, September 4 over at No. 22 Tufts at 3:30 p.m.
- Plymouth State faces No. 2 Middlebury on Wednesday, September 4 at 4:30 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS