Score: Brandeis 3, Emerson 0 (25-22, 25-18, 25-19)
Records: Emerson Lions (4-6) ; Brandeis Judges (6-3)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
Date: Thursday, September 21, 2017
The Lead: The Emerson women's volleyball shouldered a straight sweep loss to the Brandeis Judgeson Thursday night in non-conference women's volleyball action at Brown & Plofker Gym. Emerson fell to Brandeis, 25-22, in the opening set before the Judges went on to grab the second frame at 25-18 and close the match out with a 25-19 win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Junior Kelley Guerra (Randolph, N.J.) and freshman Albany Alexander (Orlando, Fl.) led the Emerson offense with six kills apiece, while junior Moira Brennan (Glenview, Ill.) recorded 16 helpers and junior Fara Cohen (Morristown, N.J.) recorded 16 digs.
- Senior Halley Dewey (Hopewell Junction, N.Y.) paced the Lions defense with a pair of block assists as Cohen also served an overall match-best five aces.
- Shea Decker-Jacoby paced Brandeis with 10 kills and Leah Pearlman had 16 assists, while Yvette Cho registered a match-high 21 digs.
- Decker-Jacoby also served four aces and Emma Bartlet paced the Judges defense with three block assists.
HOW IT HAPPENED
SET ONE (Brandeis 25, Emerson 22)
- Brandeis grabbed the set's first lead at 4-2 before Emerson produced the next eight of nine points to push ahead, 10-5.
- Holding the 18-11 lead over Brandeis, Emerson allowed the Judges to get themselves back in the game with an 8-1 streak to square the score at 19-all.
- The Lions regained the lead back at 22-19 on a trio of attack errors committed by the Judges, but the Judges tallied the final six scores to take the comeback 25-22 set win.
SET TWO (Brandeis 25, Emerson 18)
- After Emerson topped Brandeis 8-3 after a 5-0 run compiled a pair of kills by Guerra and freshman Grace Tepper (Kensington, Md.) and an ace by sophomore Kayleen Bertrand (New Boston, N.H.), the Judges answered with eight consecutive points to gain the 11-8 lead.
- Brandeis bumped its lead up to eight at 17-11 as Emerson cut the lead down to four on an ace by Cohen.
- The Judges extended its lead to eight at 26-14 as the Lions were able to earn back two points to put the score at 24-18 before the Judges closed the frame out on a swing by Decker-Jacoby and pushed its lead to 2-0.
SET THREE (Brandeis 25, Emerson 19)
- Brandeis squared the score three times before Emerson was able to snap the tie and break away with a string of four points to grab the 11-7 edge on a trio of aces by Cohen.
- The Judges closed within one at 11-10 as the Purple capitalized on a pair of Judges errors to give themselves a little breathing room at 13-10.
- Emerson found themselves trailing by three after Brandeis stormed back in front at 16-13 on a streak of six points.
- The Lions then squared the set up 17-all and would keep within three of the Judges at 21-19, but the Judges wrapped the third frame up by tacking on the final four scores.
- Emerson heads off to Mount Holyoke in search of their first NEWMAC win on Saturday, September 23 for a 1:00 p.m. matchup.
- Brandeis takes a short break before they travel to Cleveland, Ohio for its first ECAC tri-match against Chicago, Emory and Rochester on Saturday and Sunday, September 30-October 1.
• Stay updated on the Emerson women's volleyball team and follow the Lions on Twitter @EmersonVBALL and on Instagram. Be sure to follow Emerson Athletics on Twitter @EmersonLions for all things Lions athletics. Also, tune into Emerson Channel Sports to watch games live!