Match One Score: Emerson 3, Salve Regina 2
Match Two Score: Emerson 3, Lasell 0
Records: Emerson Lions (2-0) ; Lasell Lasers (0-2) ; Salve Regina Seahawks (0-1)
Date: Friday, August 31, 2018
Location: Danbury, Conn. (Feldman Arena)
The Lead: Carolyn Vaimoso's (Torrance, Calif.) 29 kills over the two matches led the Lions to a 2-0 start to their season in Danbury, Connecticut.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Match One (Emerson 3, Salve Regina 2)
- Emerson dropped the first set after trading points with the Seahawks up until the teams were tied at 15. Salve Regina went on a 10 point run to win the first set 25-15.
- In the second set, Emerson jumped out to a 10-5 lead, headlined by a kill by Albany Alexander (Orlando, Fla.).
- Salve Regina made a quick run to cut the lead to three at 12-9.
- The Lions kept the Seahawks at bay and ended the set on a 13-9 run, finishing the with a score of 25-18.
- The back and forth third set started out with Salve Regina scoring the first six points. The Lions then scored seven of the next eight to knot the score at 7.
- The Seahawks grabbed the next five points and never looked back, giving the Lions a 2-1 deficit in sets by winning 25-22.
- In the fourth set, the Lions continued to fight despite being down 2-1. They jumped out to an early lead, with Carolyn Vaimoso getting the kill to open up the lead to five at 12-7.
- The Lions continued their scoring but allowed the Seahawks back into the set before closing it out and forcing a fifth set with a score of 25-20.
- The fifth set was all lions, who jumped out to a quick 7-0 lead. Emerson only allowed the Seahawks to get 8 points, and won the set 15-8, giving them the 3-2 victory in their first match of the year.
Match Two (Emerson 3, Lasell 0)
- Emerson made quick work of the Lasers, not allowing them to win a set in the match.
- The first set saw the Lions open up an early 4-1 lead and never surrender it.
- The Lions had a 15-10 lead before going on a 10-1 run to close out the game at 25-16.
- Emerson continued their quick starts in the second set, scoring on 11 of the first 13 points.
- The Lions never let the lead get smaller than 7, and finished the Lasers off at 25-15.
- The third set was much closer, as the Lions and Lasers traded runs and points throughout the set.
- Emerson jumped ahead 8-4 before dropping the next six points to fall behind 10-8.
- The Lions then grabbed the next six points themselves, opening up a 14-10 lead.
- The teams traded points and leads, until the lions jumped ahead and finished off the Lasers with a final score of 25-23.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Moira Brennan (Glenview, Ill.) had an impressive 76 assists in the two matches, with 52 in the match against Salve Regina.
- Carolyn Vaimoso led the Lions with 29 total kills and 32 total points over the two matches. She also had 12 digs.
- Lauren Quan (San Diego, Calif.) led the Lions with 19 total digs over the two matches.
- Grace Tepper (Kensington, MD) had a strong offensive night with 24 kills in the two matches.
- The Lions will continue their away matches in Connecticut on Satuday, when they take on Simmons and Farleigh Dickinson at 12:00 and 2:00 respectively.