Match One Score: Emerson 3, Simmons 0
Match Two Score: Emerson 3, Farleigh Dickinson 0
Records: Emerson Lions (4-0) ; Simmons Sharks (2-1)
Date: September 1, 2018
Location: Danbury, Conn. (Feldman Arena)
The Lead: Emerson swept all four matches in Danburym, Connecticut to be named champions of a tournament hosted by Western Connecticut State over two days.
Match One (Emerson 3, Simmons 0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Lions continued their quick starts to matches by grabbing six of the first ten points against the Sharks.
- The Sharks grabbed six of the next seven points to put the Lions down 10-7.
- The teams traded points until freshman Carolyn Vaimoso took over the serve. Vaimoso's serve gave the Lions six straight points, and turned a three point deficit into a three point lead at 16-13.
- The Lions and Sharks traded points until Carolyn Vaimoso took over the serve again, capping the set with a final score of 27-25.
- Emerson had more control in the second set and kept the early lead they built.
- The Lions and Sharks were trading points up and were knotted at seven early in the set.
- After being knotted at 7, the Lions went on an 8-2 run to take a commanding 15-9 lead.
- Simmons made a late push but were unable to overcome the deficit and fell to Emerson 25-20.
- The Lions continued their torrid pace in the third set, not allowing the Sharks into the set.
- Emerson continued to push and won with a final score of 3-0 for the match, opening 3-0 on the season.
Match Two (Emerson 3, Farleigh Dickinson 0)
*** The release will be updated upon the additional stats becoming available.