Scoreboard: Emerson 3, Salve Regina 2 | August 31, 2018
Emerson 3, Lasell 0 | August 31, 2018
Emerson 3, Simmons 0 | September 1, 2018
Emerson 3, Fairleigh Dickinson 0 | September 1, 2018
Schedule: Wednesday, September 5 vs. University of New England, Boston, Mass., 5:30 p.m.
Saturday, September 8 vs. Amherst & Western New England, Springfield, Mass., 1 & 3 p.m.
BOSTON, Mass. - After an impressive 4-0 showing at the Western Connecticut Invitational this past weekend, the Emerson women's volleyball team splits time between its home court and the road this week with three matches. The Lions begin their home schedule come Wednesday night, hosting University of New England at 5:30 p.m. Then on Saturday, the Purple head to Springfield for the Western New England Tournament where they will face Amherst and WNE at 1:00 and 3:00 p.m.
LIONS IN THE NEWMAC
- Through four matches, Emerson has won nine straight sets to put them at a perfect 4-0 to start off the 2018 season.
- The Lions have racked up 12.29 kills per set with a .222 hitting percentage to go along with 11.71 assists per set, 1.61 blocks, 2.71 service aces and average 15.43 digs a set.
- Impressive offensive and defensive numbers put Emerson within the top five amongst NEWMAC competitors including second in both digs (216) and assists (164), and third in kills (172), kills per set, blocks (23) and service aces (38).
- Individual Lions have made their way into the rankings four matches into the young season and consist of freshman Carolyn Vaimoso (Torrance, Calif.), seniors Fara Cohen (Morristown, N.J.) and Moira Brennan (Glenview, Ill.), junior Jamie Groele (Chelmsford, Mass.) and sophomore Albany Alexander (Orlando, Fla.).
- Vaimoso, Brennan and Groele pace the offensive attack for Emerson with Vaimoso averaging 3.36 kills a set (6th) with 47 total swings (3rd), followed by Brennan with a third best 9.79 assists and Groele with a ninth best .67 service aces per set.
- Defensive leaders for the Lions consist of Cohen, who sits sixth in the conference with 60 total digs and is joined by Alexander, who averages .89 blocks (9th).
SCOUTING THE NOR'EASTERS
- The University of New England, who have so far posted a record of 1-2, are coming into Wednesday's contest after a pair of sweeps by Southern Maine and Maine Maritime this past Saturday.
- The Nor'easters are 1-2 in the all-time series against Emerson dating back to last season when the Lions topped the Nor'easters in three sets on September 7, 2017.
SCOUTING THE MAMMOTHS
- Amherst starts off its 2018 season come Friday against fellow NEWMAC team Smith before facing Emerson in tri-match play on Saturday.
- The Mammoths concluded 2017 with a 3-0 loss to Tufts in the NESCAC semifinal for an overall record of 17-10 and a 5-5 showing in NESCAC play.
- This Lions and Mammoths faced off last year, with AMherst coming away victorious by a score of 3-1.
SCOUTING THE GOLDEN BEARS
- Western New England has yet to get a W in 2018, starting the season off 0-4 after a 2017 that saw the Golden Bears finish 16-14 overall.
- The Golden Bears capped off last season with a 5-4 record in Commonwealth Coast Conference action and fell to Wentworth, 3-2, in the CCC Quarterfinals.
- Before taking on Emerson on Saturday, Western New England opens its home schedule come Wednesday night in a non conference showdown against Connecticut College.
- Emerson last faced Western New England on September 10, 2016, falling to the Golden Bears 3-0.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS