Score: Emerson 3, University of New England 0
Records: Emerson Lions (5-0) ; University of New England Nor'Easters (1-3)
Date: Wednesday, September 5, 2018
Location: Boston, Mass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
The Lead: Emerson put on a dominant performance, winning two of three sets by double digits to defeat the Nor'Easters of the University of New England.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Moria Brennan (Glenview, Ill.) grabbed 28 assists to pace the Lions for all three sets.
- Albany Alexander (Orlando, Fla.) led the Lions with 10 kills on 19 total attacks. She found her way into double figures with 10. points.
- Carolyn Vaimoso (Torrance, Calif.) added 7 kills for the Lions. Vaimoso totaled 8 points against the Nor'Easters.
- Grace Tepper (Kensington, M.D.) and Moira Brennan each had four service aces.
- Tepper led the Lions with 14 digs and senior Fara Cohen(Morristown, N.J.) had 13 digs defensively.
- Katie Flynn led the Nor'Easters with 7 kills on 21 total attacks and 7 digs.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson jumped out to early leads in all three sets. In the first set, Emerson scored seven of the first nine points, which was capped off by Carolyn Vaimoso's lone ace.
- After losing two of three points, Jamie Groele (Chelmsford, Mass.) came in and grabbed three points on the serve for Emerson, helping them open up an 11-5 lead.
- The Lions piled on when Moira Brennan took over the serve, scoring 7 straight points to take a commanding 18-8 lead.
- The Lions grabbed 7 more points to close out the first set 25-13.
- After dropping the first point of the second set, the Lions went on a 14-0 run to take control of the game.
- Grace Tepper's serve caused problems for the Nor'Easters, who were unable to return comfortably, which set the Lions up for a good returns.
- After giving up a point, the Lions went on another run, this time scoring six points in a row to take a 20-2 lead.
- The Nor'Easters went on a run of their own, scoring 8 of the next 10 points, but the Lions ultimately won 25-12 in the second set.
- The third set was much of the same for the Lions, who took control early.
- The NorEasters put up a good fight, not allowing the Lions to win easily.
- The two teams battled until the Lions were able to inch out the victory at 25-23, giving Emerson the 3-0 victory.
- Emerson will take part in the Western New England Invitational on Saturday, taking part in gamed against Western New England and Amherst. Amherst starts at 1:00pm and Western New England will start at 1:00pm.