Overall Record: 6-1 (0-0 NEWMAC)
Schedule: Tuesday, September 11 at Wellesley, Wellesley, Mass., 7:00 p.m.
Saturday, September 15 vs. Coast Guard & Endicott, Boston, Mass., 12 & 4:00 p.m.
BOSTON, Mass. - After a week that saw the Emerson women's volleyball team finished 2-1, the Lions enter this coming week with its first pair of NEWMAC contests. On Tuesday night, Emerson heads to Wellesley to begin conference play at 7:00 p.m.. Then on Saturday, the Lions return home to host a tri-match that features both Coast Guard and Endicott at 12:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m.
LIONS IN THE NEWMAC
- With a full week of matches in the books, Emerson has averaged 12.50 kills a set and 11.75 assists per set to go along with 1.31 blocks, 2.83 aces, 15.63 assists a set with a .213 hit percentage.
- Freshman Carolyn Vaimoso (Torrance, Calif.) continues a strong start to her collegiate career with a NEWMAC third best 3.78 kills/set and sits second with 87 total kills.
- Sophomore Grace Tepper (Kensington, Md.) sits within the top 10 in several categories including kills per set (2.96 - ninth), total kills (71 - 7th) and service aces (.67 - 10th).
- Senior Fara Cohen (Morristown, N.J.) takes the fifth spot with 87 total digs and classmate Moira Brennan's (Glenview, Ill.) .75 service aces per set sits her in seventh and 10.08 assists puts her in second.
SCOUTING THE BLUE
- Wellesley currently holds a perfect 4-0 record after taking a complete sweep over at the MIT Invitational this past weekend in tri-match action against Colby, Suffolk and Roger Williams.
- The Blue completed 2017 at 22-7 with a 8-2 showing in the NEWMAC and took a trip to the first round of the NCAA Tournament, where they fell to Wesleyan (Conn.).
- Yasmine Reece powers the Blue with a .523 hit percentage and racks up .50 blocks a set followed by Nicole Doerges averaging 3.00 kills a set., Samantha Hoeng with 3.93 digs and Izzy Seebold racking up 9.50 assists.
- Emerson and Wellesley last met back on September 12, 2017 at Brown & Plofker where the Blue came away with the 3-2 win.
SCOUTING THE BEARS
- Coast Guard improved to 8-1 this past weekend that saw the Bears sweep at the Coast Guard/Connecticut College Tournament.
- The Bears were swept by Wellesley in the 2017 NEWMAC Quarterfinals to put their 2017 record at 16-14 and 5-5 in conference play.
- Before Saturday's meeting with Emerson, Coast Guard opens its NEWMAC and home schedule on Tuesday night against Clark.
- Leading Coast Guard on the stat sheet is Angelou Dunton, who powers out 2.96 kills per set to go with a .307 hit percentage and is followed by Veronica Hine, who has registered 3.79 digs and .54 service aces.
- Mary Sweet has racked up a team leading .88 blocks per set and Makenna Martin rounds out the Bears leaders with 5.28 assists.
- In the last meeting between the Lions and Bears last season, the Bears grabbed the 3-2 win.
SCOUTING THE GULLS
- Through seven matches, Endicott sits at 4-3 and are coming off a 1-2 trip at the Springfield Invitational that included losses to #17 MIT and Springfield and a win over Colby.
- Endicott takes part in two matches against Johnson & Wales and Brandeis before they face Emerson on Saturday.
- Both Emma Mancini and Colleen McAvoy pace Endicott with Mancini averaging 3.61 kills and .50 service aces and McAvoy powering out a hit percentage of .436 and racking up .92 blocks.
- Zoey Gifford has 10.87 assists per set and MacKenzie Kennedy averages 4.58 digs.
- The Gulls are the reigning Commonwealth Coast Conference Champions, but were topped in the first round of the NCAA Tournament by Ithaca to put their 2017 record at 22-10 and 8-2 in the CCC.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS
• Stay updated on the Emerson women's volleyball team and follow the Lions on Twitter @EmersonVBALL and on Instagram. Be sure to follow Emerson Athletics on Twitter @EmersonLions for all things Lions athletics. Also, tune into Emerson Channel Sports to watch games live!