Score: Wellesley 3, Emerson 1
Records: Emerson Lions (6-2, 0-1 NEWMAC) ; Wellesley Blue (5-0, 1-0 NEWMAC)
Date: September 11, 2018
Location: Wellesley, Mass. (Dorothy towne Fieldhouse)
The Lead: Freshman Carolyn Vaimoso(Torrance, Calif.) continued her hot start to the season by pegging 15 kills in four sets against the Blue of Wellesley.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson took control of the first set by scoring seven of nine points after being knotted at 12 a piece.
- Wellesley closed the gap, but the Lions held firm to grab the victory in the first frame, 25-21.
- Wellesley came out firing in the second and third sets, taking early leads to put the Lions on their heels.
- The Lions continued to fight tough, fighting back in both sets but they were unable to overcome the defecits, falling 25-14 and 25-15 in the second and third sets respectively.
- Emerson jumped out to a quick lead in the fourth set, grabbing five of the first six points.
- Wellesley cut the lead to 11-9 before Emerson opened up a 20-12 lead.
- Wellesley fought back, winning the next six points to cut the lead to two.
- The Blue completed the comeback, winning the final set 26-24 and taking a 3-1 victory in the match.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Carolyn Vaimoso recorded a team high 15 kills for the Lions while Grace Tepper (Kensington, MD) was strong on the attack recording 13 kills for the Lions.
- Vaimoso was great on the defensive end as well, as she tied for the team lead in digs with Fara Cohen with both grabbing 12.
- Moira Brennan (Glenview, Ill.) was instrumental for the Lions attack, assisting on 33 Emerson kills and tallying 11 digs.
- Yasmine Reece led Wellesley with 17 kills and a .400 hitting percentage on the night.
- Emerson continues NEWMAC play on Saturday when they welcome Coast Guard for the first match of a tri-match with Endicott, starting at 12:00pm.
- Wellesley has a quick turnaround as they welcome UMASS Boston to Dorothy Towne Fieldhouse tomorrow starting at 7:00pm.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS
• Stay updated on the Emerson women's volleyball team and follow the Lions on Twitter @EmersonVBALL and on Instagram. Be sure to follow Emerson Athletics on Twitter @EmersonLions for all things Lions athletics. Also, tune into Emerson Channel Sports to watch games live!