Match One Score: Coast Guard 3, Emerson 1 (23-25, 21-25, 25-17, 18-25)
Match Three Score: Endicott 3, Emerson 0 (23-25, 19-25, 14-25)
Records: Emerson Lions (6-4, 0-2 NEWMAC) ; Coast Guard Bears (12-1, 3-0 NEWMAC) ; Endicott Gulls (6-5)
Date: Saturday, September 15, 2018
Location: Boston, Mass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
The Lead: Sophomore Grace Tepper (Kensington, Md.) and senior Fara Cohen (Morristown, N.J.) each racked up a pair of double-doubles as the Emerson women's volleyball team suffered a sweep against NEWMAC foe Coast Guard and Endicott. The Lions fell 3-1 to the Bears to start the day and were swept in straight sets by the Gulls on Saturday afternoon.
MATCH ONE: Coast Guard 3, Emerson 1
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Tepper had a double-double of a team high 15 kills and 16 digs for Emerson with Cohen also registering a double-double of 12 kills and 14 digs.
- Senior Moira Brennan (Glenview, Ill.) put up a match high 35 assists and freshman Lauren Quan (San Diego, Calif.) along with senior Kelley Guerra (Randolph, N.J.) and Brennan each recording a pair of block assists.
- Amanda Dake paced Coast Guard with a match-high 19 kills with 20 digs followed by Makenna Martin leading the digs column with 25 and 30 assists.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- With Coast Guard holding the 8-5 lead in the opening frame, a kill by freshman Carolyn Vaimoso (Torrance, Calif.) sparked Emerson's 11-1 spurt to extend its lead to seven (16-9).
- The Bears counted for the next 12 of 14 to erase the Lions' lead and claimed the 21-18 edge before the hosts put the set's next three points on the board to even the score at 21-all.
- Coast Guard regained the 24-21 edge before they claimed the first set 25-23 on an Emerson attack error.
- The score margin never went over three through much of the second set until a kill by Mary Sweet set began a 7-3 run that led to a five-point Coast Guard edge (24-19)
- The third set began with the score differential at no more than two before a 5-3 Emerson streak pushed the Lions ahead by four (16-12) on a bad set by the Bears.
- Emerson continued to hold a steady lead of seven over Coast Guard deep into the third and never relinquished it again as the hosts forced a forth set with a 25-16 win.
- The Lions carried a two point advantage to start the fourth (8-6) that was quickly erased by the Bears' 10-0 run to give the visitors an eight point lead (16-8).
- Holding within four midway through the set were the Lions at 20-16, but it was the Bears who were able to post a 5-2 streak to capture the 25-18 win.
MATCH THREE: Endicott 3, Emerson 0
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Tepper and Cohen each recorded double doubles with Tepper posting a team high 12 kills to go with 10 digs, while Cohen had 10 kills and 19 digs.
- Brennan racked up 29 assists, Quan served a pair of aces and both freshman Anna Hamre (Cypress, Calif.) and Tepper each had a pair of block assists.
- Colleen McAvoy paced Endicott on the stat sheet with 13 kills and four block assists with Zoey Gifford recording a match high 41 assists and three aces and Mackenzie Kennedy recording 19 digs.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson started off the first set holding a lead of at least two and gained a three point edge (14-11) before the Lions allowed Endicott back into the frame on a 6-1 run (17-15).
- Both the Lions and Gulls exchanged points all the way through middle of the first set with the score tied four times.
- The visitors knotted the score for the last time at 23-all and tallied the pair of winning points on an ace and Lions attack error.
- After Endicott powered out an early lead, Emerson erased a once three point deficit to claim the 10-9 edge on a kill from Cohen.
- It was the last Emerson would hold a lead for Endicott was able to hold the Lions within three before extending its lead to seven (24-17) and notched the match point on a kill by Colleen McAvoy.
- The hosts held a lead once in the early stages of the third stanza (5-4), yet the visiting Gulls were able to put up a 14-4 streak to bump its advantage into double digits (20-10).
- Emerson was able to tally two more points, but Endicott recorded the remaining five of six points to take the 25-14 win.
- Emerson continues conference play at Babson on Tuesday, September 18 at 7:00 p.m.
- Coast Guard will host Mount Holyoke on Tuesday, September 18 at 7:00 p.m.
- Endicott heads to Tufts on Tuessday, September 18 with the first serve set for 7:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS