Score: Babson 3, Emerson 0 (20-25, 12-25, 23-25)
Records: Emerson Lions (6-5, 0-3 NEWMAC) ; Babson Beavers (7-4, 3-0 NEWMAC)
Date: Tuesday, September 18, 2018
Location: Babson Park, Mass. (Staake Gymnasium)
The Lead: Despite another double double showing of 15 kills and 10 digs from sophomore Grace Tepper (Kensington, Md.), the Emerson women's volleyball team were upended by Babson in straight sets on Tuesday night in NEWMAC play.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Tepper paced Emerson in the kills category with 15 and co-led in digs with senior Fara Cohen (Morristown, N.J.) at 10 digs.
- Senior Moira Brennan (Glenview, Ill.) led both teams with a match-best 26 assists.
- Shannon Roseen powered out 15 swings and hit a blistering .520, while Elizabeth Cameron dished out 23 assists, Abby Beecher also registered 15 kills and Cassidy Witten served up a match-best four aces.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Within the opening set, Babson's duo of Roseen and Allie Puccio combined for 13 of the Beaver's 19 first set kills that helped cap off a 12-5 run by the hosts that erased Emerson's 15-13 lead for the 1-0 win.
- Emerson was held to a -.087 within the second frame while Babson hit an efficient .556 to take the two-set advantage.
- The third stanza saw Emerson open with a six point lead and clung to a 13-10 edge before the hosts answered with the next 10 of 11 scores to pull ahead 20-14.
- The Lions staved off the Beavers' match point three times to close within one at 24-23 on a kill by senior Kelley Guerra (Randolph, N.J.), but it was Babson who came up with a key block to close out the match.
- Emerson steps out of conference play on Thursday, September 20 with a 7:00 p.m. match over at Brandeis.
- Babson travels to UMass-Dartmouth on Thursday night as well at 7:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS