Score: Clark 3, Emerson 1
Records: Emerson Lions (8-7, 1-4 NEWMAC); Clark Cougars (6-7, 1-4 NEWMAC)
Date: Tuesday, September 25, 2018
Location: Worcester, Mass. (Kneller Athletic Center)
The Lead: Senior Fara Cohen (Morristown, N.J.) hit a new career high 30 digs and sophomore Grace Tepper (Kensington, Md.) matched her career high of 20 kills in the Emerson women's volleyball team's 3-1 setback at Clark on Tuesday night in NEWMAC play.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Tepper paced Emerson with 20 kills while Cohen followed with her new career high of 30 digs and senior Moira Brennan (Glenview, Ill.) dished out 36 assists.
- Ana Patricia Mercado led all scorers with 21 swings while Rachel Webb served three aces and Rayme Quiban added 22 digs.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Clark gained an early 4-1 lead in the first set with a pair of kills from Mercado and an ace from Webb.
- Emerson answered with a 9-0 spurt in which senior Kelley Guerra (Randolph, N.J.) tallied two kills and junior Jamie Groele (Chelmsford, Mass.) added ace to take the 10-4 lead.
- A pair of kills by Margarita Perez-Maza brought the hosts within four (11-7) before the Lions reclaimed the eight point lead (15-7) on a 4-0 run.
- Mercado and Corina Picon tacked on two more kills for Clark, but Emerson topped the Cougars by 12 (25-13) to take set one.
- The second set saw three early ties before Clark pulled away by three (6-3) and maintained a three point lead over Emerson after a kill from Picon.
- Two more kills by Mercao pulled Clark ahead by eight (16-8) and was followed up by the hosts taking its largest lead of the game to take the set 25-14.
- In set three, Emerson had its early lead erased as Clark evened the score at 9-all, but were able to bounce back and tacked on two more points to come within one.
- The frame saw five more ties before Clark distanced themselves away for the tight 25-23 win.
- Much like the third set, the fourth set had four ties before Clark managed to pull away with a 10-4 run to secure the 25-19 win.
- Emerson comes home on Thursday, September 27 at 7:00 p.m. to host Emmanuel (Mass.).
- Clark will play host to Western New England on Thursday as well at 7:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS