Score: Emerson 3, Smith 0 (25-21, 25-10, 25-19)
Records: Emerson Lions (10-10, 2-6 NEWMAC) ; Smith Pioneers (3-14, 0-7 NEWMAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
Date: Tuesday October 9, 2018
The Lead: Sophomore Grace Tepper (Kensington, Md.) paced the Emerson women's volleyball team with double figures in kills to put the Lions back in the win column with a straight sweep over NEWMAC foe Smith on Tuesday night.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Tepper racked up 13 kills followed by 10 swings from senior Fara Cohen (Morristown, N.J.) and 26 assists from senior Moira Brennan (Glenview, Ill.).
- Cohen also racked up eight digs to go along with her 10 digs, while senior Kelley Guerra (Randolph, N.J.) had three solo blocks and freshman Lauren Quan (San Diego, Calif.) tossed up four aces.
- Amy Hagen put up a match best 13 kills and completed a double double with 10 digs, while Kimani Freeman handed out 17 assists, Helena Wiatrowski served four aces and two Pioneers registered one block assist each.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson maintained a one point edge over Smith to begin the opening frame before breaking out a 9-all tie with a 5-0 run to give the Lions a 13-9 advantage.
- Smith made the set interesting and never strayed more than one point behind Emerson, eventually grabbing a lead for the first time since the frame's start (19-18).
- The Lions did not stay down for long for they reclaimed the lead (21-20) on a kill by Cohen and used four consecutive points capped off on a swing by Tepper to take the 25-21 win.
- The hosts used the second frame to hit a blistering .536 with one attack error and cruised to a 25-10 win over the Pioneers to gain the 2-0 match lead.
- With Smith down a pair (6-4) in the second set, Cohen's kill set Emerson off on a 7-0 spurt to put the Lions in front by nine (13-4).
- The visitors were down by eight (15-7) after a Lions service error and was the closest they would come as the Lions pulled away on a 7-1 run to push its lead into double figures (22-8).
- Smith earned two points back (22-10) as Emerson used a Pioneers service error, kill from Cohen and an ace by Brennan to wrap the set (25-10).
- The score remained tight throughout much of the final set with each team taking leads of no more than two.
- Down by one (19-18) after a swing from Hagan, a swing from sophomore Albany Alexander (Orlando, Fl.) kicked off a closing 6-1 streak by the Lions to take the match and the 25-19 win.
- Emerson stays on its home court to on Thursday, October 11 in its second out of conference match against Curry at 7:00 p.m.
- Smith enters non conference action on Wednesday, October 10 at Western New England at 7:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS