Score: Simmons 3, Emerson 1 (26-24, 23-25, 25-20, 27-25)
Records: Emerson Lions (13-2, 2-6 NEWMAC) ; Simmons Sharks (11-12, 6-4GNAC)
Location: Boston, Mass.. (Moore Gymnasium)
Date: Thursday, October 18th, 2018.
The Lead: The Lions had three players with double digit kills but were unable to overcome by a strong offensive attack by the Sharks.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Kelley Guerra (Randolph, N.J.) led all Lions with 14 kills. Fara Cohen (Morristown, N.J.) and Albany Alexander (Orlando, Fla.) both added double digit kill performances with 12 and 10 respectively.
- Moira Brennan (Glenview, Ill.) assisted on 34 of 40 kills for Emerson.
- Guerra and Cohen reached a double double by having 20 and 13 kills respectively while Lauren Quan (San Diego, Calif.) added 14.
- Reilly Coombs had16 kills and Julia Fusco grabbed 18 digs to lead the Sharks.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson did not lose a set by more than five points on the day.
- The first set saw a back and forth affair which the teams came to the end of knotted at 20.
- Simmons grabbed the three next points to open up a 23-30 lead. Emerson fought back and forced the set into extra points.
- After getting the match to 24-24, Emerson dropped the next two points and fell 26-24.
- In the second set, Emerson fell behind by five to open the set.
- Headlined by a Jessica Braunstein (Demarest, N.J.) kill, Emerson roared back and tied the match at 22-22. They continued fighting and won the second set 25-23.
- Emerson jumped out to a lead in the third set, winning seven of the first ten points.
- Simmons' attack came to life and cut the lead from four to one at 10-9.
- Emerson maintained the lead to 17-15, before Simmons rattled off nine straight points, before closing out the set 25-20.
- In the final set, Emerson fell behind 14-7, but continued to battle. They found their stride and jumped into a close game at 20-19.
- The teams traded points and found themselves knotted at 25. Simmons was able to score the next two points and win the set by a score of 27-25, and won the match with a score of 3-1.
- Emerson has a quick turnaround, hosting a tri-match against Framingham St. and Conn. College on Saturday starting at 11:00am. During the 3:00pm match, we will honor the seniors for their great work as Lions over the years.