Score: Tufts 3, Emerson 2
Records: Emerson Lions (2-1) ; Tufts Jumbos (1-0)
Location: Medford, Mass.
Date: September 4, 2019, 2019
The Lead: The Emerson Women's Volleyball Team traveled close by to Boston to Medford, Mass. to take on the Jumbos of Tufts University, falling in a thrilling back and forth five-set match.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Grace Tepper (Kensington, Md.) - 13 Kills, 12 Digs
Caroline Bond (Macungie, Penn.) - 10 Kills, 25 Assists, 18 Digs
Albany Alexander (Orlando, Fla.) - 10 Kills, 7 Digs
Maddie Stewart - 18 Kills
Cate Desler - 15 Kills, 17 Digs
Rachel Furash - 37 Assists, 8 Digs
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson and Tufts were locked in a tight opening set that saw 15 score ties. After being knotted at 19, Tepper and Bond each got a kill which gave the Lions a 21-19 lead. Emerson would hold on to get the 25-22 victory.
- After a close opening, two short runs by the Jumbos opened up the score to 13-7 and put the Lions in a hole. Emerson could not overcome the difference and fell in the second set 25-18 to knot the score at one apiece.
- In the third set, the Lions fell behind 22-15 late but continued to battle. Kills from Alexander and Tepper cut the score to 23-21. The Jumbos were able to respond and take the third set 25-21, taking a 2-1 lead in the match.
- The fourth set saw both teams scoring points and unable to take a commanding lead. After the Lions took a 19-18 lead, Logan Steenbergen's (Glenview, Ill.) serve scored three more points for Emerson, shoe eventually were up 22-20. The Jumbos responded but were unable to finish the game, with the Lions coming out victorious 25-22 and forced a final set.
- The Lions scored the first point of the fifth set, but the Jumbos came back strong and took a commanding lead, before closing out the final set 15-7 and match 3-2.
- Emerson gets back in action on Saturday in a Tri-Match against Amherst and Western New England.